To celebrate cooler weather, but, heck!, potatoes can be enjoyed year-round, I tracked down 45 different potato recipes for you.
Food-Storage Friendly Potato Recipes
When you purchased dehydrated and freeze-dried food, you can count on it to last for many years and be available when you need that ingredient. These 2 recipes are examples of how creative you can be with what some folks call “survival food.” It’s not just for survival!
Both these Augason Farms recipes call for “Potato Gems”, which are instant mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes made with fresh taters, but sometimes the instant kind is all I have around. Try cooking this first recipe in a cast iron Dutch oven for awesome flavor!
Potato Lover Stew
5 cups Augason Farms Freeze Dried Chicken Breast Chunks, prepared
6 cups water
5 teaspoons Augason Farms Chicken Bouillon, prepared
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups Augason Farms Dehydrated Chopped Onions, rehydrated
1 cup Augason Farms Dehydrated Cross Cut Celery, rehydrated
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons Augason Farms Iodized Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup heavy cream
2 cups Augason Farms Dehydrated Diced Carrots, rehydrated
2 cups Augason Farms Dehydrated Sweet Peas, rehydrated
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 cup Augason Farms Potato Gems, prepared
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the onions and celery over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot chicken bouillon to the sauce.
- Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.
- Add salt, pepper, heavy cream, prepared chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
In a saucepan, prepare 1 cup of Augason Farms Potato Gems according to directions. Transfer chicken stew to serving dish. Place spoonfuls of prepared potato gems on top of stew. Enjoy.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie
1 1/2 cups Augason Farms Beef Flavored Vegetarian Meat Substitute, rehydrated
1/2 cup Augason Farms Dehydrated Chopped Onions, rehydrated
1/2 cup Augason Farms Dehydrated Diced Carrots, rehydrated
3 cups Augason Farms Potato Gems, prepared
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
- Prepare Potato Gems according to label directions and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large frying pan then add rehydrated vegetables, meat substitute, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Distribute vegetables and beef mixture evenly in the bottom of an oven-proof baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. Create peaks with a fork that will brown nicely.
- Bake at 400°F about 30 minutes or until bubbling and brown. Broil for last few minutes, if necessary, to brown. Serves 4.
Here are 43 more recipes that I couldn’t resist! See them all on my Pinterest board!
Warm, Roasted Baby Potato Salad with Crispy Bacon (…stop right there! You had me at ‘bacon’!)
Want to store shelf-stable ingredients so you can make your favorite potato recipe years from now?
More recipes from some great cookbooks!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Get 2 Survival Mom books for less than $4! - May 24, 2017
- 4 Top Survival Skills You Must Teach Your Kids - May 23, 2017
- Why The Instant Pot Can Make Your World A Better Place - May 20, 2017
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About MREs, and Then Some - May 13, 2017
- Spring into summer preparedness - May 12, 2017