By John A. Heatherly, Author of The Survival Template
As a stay-at-home dad, occasionally I feel the need to reach beyond the realm of diapers and sippy-cups and remind myself of my ultimate survivability. Last night’s meatloaf project is my latest excursion into super-masculinity (my wife gave me a few strange looks but I think she understands?)
1. I started with the drippings from my Top Secret Meatloaf Recipe.
2. We didn’t have any soup cans available, so I cut an aluminum soda can in half. *Note that the sharp edges are folded over. A larger can would have been a big improvement but remember I was in “Cave-man improvise”mode.3. Next I filled my improvised metal container with drippings.4. I added wicking material – a piece of cotton or other flammable fabric would also have worked.5. I used a small piece of a skewer to hold the wick in place as the drippings hardened into tallow.6. The next morning I had an oil lamp!7. As Harry Potter would say, “Incendio!” It works!
So I am feeling much more manly today. If a tropical storm or hurricane knocks our power out, I will be able to change diapers by the light of my new improvised lamp.
**Update!! In the spirit of “work smarter not harder,” I made the following discovery after Taco Night at our house:
For a small amount of drippings, a smaller aluminum can works just fine. Note that the pop-top is just turned around to hold the wick (no need for a skewer or to wait for the tallow to harden.) It also works!
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by John A. Heatherly (see all)
- Water Purifier Comparison: The Sawyer Point ZeroTWO and The Berkeys - July 26, 2014
- Training Kids To Be Resilient - July 24, 2014
- Build a DIY Smoker & Make Your Own Jerky - June 21, 2014
- INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Dollar Store Beans and Rice - June 3, 2014
- Crisis Management: 5 Tips to Navigate “The Black Zone” - May 29, 2014