Often cabbages with less-than-ideal outer leaves can be found for super cheap prices too. Pick up these deals, peel off the outer layer and likely you’ll still be left with plenty of usable inner leaves. There’s no shortage of ways to use cabbage fresh and preserve it for later either.
My favorite 10 ways to use cabbage:
- No compilation of cabbage uses would be complete without Sauerkraut. Here are three different recipes that include some zip and heat. It took me a little while to develop a taste for sauerkraut and I developed it by starting with a sweeter version that included apples and raisins.
- Cabbage rolls are a great and filling way to use up cabbage, bits of other vegetables and meat. They freeze well and make for a great, quick garden fresh meal even in the midst of winter.
- Fresh fall cabbage and beets make for a wonderful borscht sure to warm up the family as the air begins to chill.
- All those large heads of cabbage, shrink up considerably when dehydrated. Use dehydrated cabbage in soups all winter long for added nutrition and bulking up.
- Can up some chow-chow relish for burgers, hot dogs, and more.
- Coleslaw is always great for potlucks and picnics, and there are so many ways to change it up for a tasty, satisfying side dish.
- Growing up in Pittsburgh, Haluski was pretty much the ultimate comfort food. It’s quick, easy, and frugal.
- There’s something very special that happens when vegetables are roasted. It brings out their natural sweetness and seems to turn even the most skeptic of vegetable eaters into believers. Roasted cabbage slices are delicious and the different, slightly crispy taste and appearance might win over your pickiest eater.
- Braise the cabbage with sausages in beer for a one dish meal, that cooks up fast and can easily be doubled for planned leftovers.
- Mix together mashed potatoes, sliced onions, sliced cabbage, and some salt and pepper. Spread that in a casserole dish and top with cheddar cheese. This is a Rumbledethumps, a traditional Scottish dish that will quickly become a favorite side dish. It will or at least it did at my house.
What’s your favorite way to use cabbage?