My apologies upfront to Emeril, but I have discovered a recipe that takes simple black beans and rice so far beyond boring that you might actually look forward to the day when it’s all you have left in the pantry! Incredibly, my kids love this recipe, and I always double it.
I came across this recipe for rice and beans in a recipe exchange over at Lucianne.com last year. I wish I knew who posted it because I’d love to thank them personally. Pay attention to the various spices and herbs used. They’re the key to the recipe, and a good reminder that part of our food storage needs to be a variety of spices and herbs. Enjoy!
Rice and Beans With a Bam!
1 T. olive oil
½ c. chopped onion
½ c. chopped red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ c. water
1 t. chili powder
½ t. salt
½ t. ground cumin
½ t. dried oregano
¼ t. dried coriander
¼ t. ground red pepper
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 cups cooked, hot long-grain rice
1 oz. or more cheddar cheese
Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook five minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add water and remaining ingredients, except for the rice and cheese. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer ten minutes or until thoroughly heated. Put rice on plates and top with bean mixture and cheese.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 9 Tips to Avoid the Summertime Prepping Slump - July 1, 2018
- Prepper to Prepper: Survival Tips for the Ladies - June 30, 2018
- INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Primitive ways to stay cool - June 28, 2018
- Top Frugal & Practical Tips for Your Next Family Vacation - June 25, 2018
- Camping is more than just equipment – Here is a list of skills you need to have - June 17, 2018