Thinking about my childhood brings back memories of homemade bread and bottled fruit, lined up neatly on the countertop. My mom would go into the backyard to collect eggs and check on our chickens, named Donny, Marie, Laverne, and Shirley. We had first aid kits, water and flashlights stashed everywhere. Being raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) does give you the chance to be raised to think of preparedness — it’s taught to us from the time we’re little kids.
Not everyone is lucky enough to be raised around yummy bread and famously named chickens. There are many resources available to help you get prepared. If you are looking for a manual that has the information you are needing to help you prep, this is it. The LDS Preparedness Manual is what you are looking for. And the best news of all, it is FREE! With 509 pages of information, it seems to cover every topic you could imagine.
The LDS Preparedness Manual
This manual was compiled by a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (LDS). Those of the LDS faith have a long history of being prepared. Even now, they are encouraged by their church leaders to be as self-reliant as possible.
Because it is written by a member of the LDS faith, you will find some religion references about family, community and being ready for any emergency. After reading and seeing how much is packed into this manual, an atheist would consider it a religious prepping experience!
Erin’s Top 7 Favorites
- I love the many checklists throughout the manual. You could take pages 124 to 127 with you to the grocery store and use it as a guide/checklist. So, this is a time saver!
- The LDS Preparedness Manual is a great place to start for beginners. It is a simple and straightforward approach to prepping. If you are not a beginner, it will be a reference that you will turn to over and over again.
- Page 57! It is easy to read the one-year supply guide. It has the specifics of what kind and amount of food needed per person for a year. Also, check out the LDS Food Storage Calculator.
- Information about the Home Storage Center Prices and Locations. Not familiar with the Home Storage Center? These centers are owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and they are open to the public. Anyone can buy discounted food for their storage. Every month they have 2 of their many food items on sale. (You must try the potato pearls) This site will tell you where to find the location closest to you and find out what is on sale.
- The General Preparedness Survey will measure where your preparedness level is. Use this manual to take you where you are at currently, to where you want to be.
- There are tables, checklists, and examples which are easy to understand and well organized. Just find the checklist that you want to focus on and print.
- This manual covers just about every topic you will need in about every circumstance. Look up what you need by topic. You will be surprised at the amount of information and things you can prepare for.
The LDS Preparedness Manual is free
Some readers have printed it out and put it in a 3-ring binder with tabs to divide the topics. They have found it easy to get to the wanted topics fast, along with adding paper for notes. The book is also available at the cost to print and ship. You can find it on Amazon or just download it at this link and have it printed at an office supply store.
Latest posts by Erin Foster (see all)
- What can a Billy Joel concert teach us about situational awareness? - August 2, 2019
- Get to know the LDS Preparedness Manual - July 2, 2019
- Survive Summer With These Clever Bug Bite Remedies - May 2, 2019
- Smart Advice to Help You Survive the Government Shutdown — or any other surprise financial setback - January 15, 2019
- How to Choose the Best Straw Water Filter For You - January 10, 2019