Here’s another list of simple, basic steps for getting started as a Survival Mom or prepper. How basic can you get?
1. Find a source of inexpensive spices, herbs, and seasonings and begin stocking up on those you use most.
3. Be on the lookout for canning jars. The lids and rims of these jars provide a tighter seal than the lids of jelly or other jars.
4. Once you have a Food Saver and canning jars, invest in one final item: a Food Saver jar sealer. This will allow you to fill those canning jars with foods that would melt or otherwise be spoiled in the canning process, vacuum oxygen from the inside of the jar, and have those foods ready to store long-term.
5. Wherever you have food stored, be on the lookout for insects and rodents who might chew through food containers. You’d be surprised at what a diligent mouse with a lot of time on his hands can do!
6. Look for coupons for batteries. Batteries are great as an item for barter, and it’s hard to stock up on too many.
7. Go through the house, garage, and vehicles, and find every flashlight you own. Make sure each one has fresh batteries and then place them in locations where they’ll be easy to find. If you have kids, make sure there is a flashlight in their bedrooms and that they know where to find it.
8. Ask friends and family for their coupon circulars in the Sunday paper and clip coupons for non-edible items, such as dental floss, ibuprofen, baby products, etc. Read this about coupons for food products.
9. Collect birth certificates for each member of your family and copies of all insurance policies. Make copies of the birth certificates and begin to assemble your Grab-n-Go Binder. It will take time to track down all the important documents for the binder, so start with just a couple of those on the list.
You’re doing great! You are more than half way through our 6 How Basic Can You Get lists! In case you missed one, here are the rest of the articles:
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- The truth about disinfectants: Q&A with an expert - February 5, 2020
- Tackle Your Toughest Prepping Problems! (video) - January 31, 2020
- Join my new 5-day Challenge, DO IT NOW 2020 - January 24, 2020
- Organize Your Emergency Evacuation in 5 Simple Steps - January 12, 2020
- 13 Survival Must-Haves You May Not Have Thought Of - January 5, 2020