If it’s springtime, that means that camping season is just days or weeks ahead. If you’ve ever gone long-term camping, you’ll be nodding your head in agreement, and then will have plenty more observations to add to this list!
- Snails can CEMENT themselves to nearly anything, and often they will do it in the least expected places.
- You MUST make peace with the giant spiders. They eat mosquitoes.
- Raccoons have no respect for personal property.
- If you fall asleep in the open, don’t be surprised if you wake up with wildlife curled up with you.
- Nothing shiny is ever safe in the open from raccoons.
- Armadillos like to lick plastic and exposed toes.
- Make peace with skunks or your life will stink (literally).
- Always look where you’re taking a squat (answering nature’s call) at least three times before going.
- Make sure you know what bull thistle looks like.
- Don’t allow people to throw cigarettes in the latrines.
- Cedar smoke may be hard to live with, but mosquitoes are much harder to deal with.
- Don’t camp by still waters.
- Clear well the area where you put your tent. Rocks, briars, and twigs don’t just disappear because you put a tarp over them. Here’s a list of more camping skills you’ll need.
- Raccoons will chew through things they cannot open easily.
- It’s easier to appease the raccoon than to keep buying new things.
- Shake your clothes well before putting them on.
- Wet tobacco makes fire ant stings stop hurting.
- You may not react to the first, second or 100th fire ant bite, but someday you will and get huge welts from them.
- Don’t camp anywhere near fire ants.
- No matter how awesome that spot in a valley looks, and no matter how much your significant other likes it, don’t camp there. Water ALWAYS goes to the valley.
- Do not attempt to burn American literature books. It won’t work.
- Raccoons can chew through Sterilite containers.
- You cannot protect your valuables from raccoons unless you half bury a box in the ground and set a small boulder over it.
- Don’t piss off Blue Jays. They remember and have no inhibitions in attacking you.
- ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS check your shoes before putting them on.
What do you have to add?
Are you wondering if you have the skills needed for camping? Read this to find out!