I recommend the 2-liter bottle as a food storage must-have so often that people have asked, “How much soda do you drink,anyway??”
With super hot summer temperatures present across the country, combined with power outages, those wonderful 2-liter bottles come in handy yet again!
Get ready for the next heat wave by filling clean bottles with water and freezing. Here’s how they can help:
- Multiple bottles of frozen water in your freezer will help keep food frozen longer.
- When the power goes out, put a few of these bottles in the fridge to lower the temperature and prolong the life of food.
- An easy way to avoid opening the refrigerator door, and thus raising the temperature with each ‘open’, put 2 or 3 bottles of frozen water in an ice chest, add bottles of water, soda, fruit, etc. The smaller interior space will stay chilled longer than the larger refrigerator.
- If someone in the family is overheating, wrap several frozen bottles in towels and place them around their body to cool their core temperature.
- Float several of these bottles in a bathtub or smaller swimming pool to keep the water cool.
- As the water melts, the icy water is the perfect temperature for drinking or pouring over a small towel to place around the back of your neck.
- If you have livestock or pets, place frozen bottles in chicken coops, rabbit hutches, dog houses, etc.
- Place a couple of bottles directly in front of a fan (battery or generator powered). The air flow cools as it passes the ice.
If you’re short of space in your freezer, try placing a layer or two of these bottles in the very bottom where it’s harder to find frozen food anyway. You’ll have several bottles ready when you need them.
I’m not a soda drinker at all, but my husband loves his Coke Zero, so we have plenty of these empty bottles. If you don’t drink soda, buy a few bottles of club soda or sparkling water instead. Store brands sell for as little as 79 cents or so.
Stay cool out there!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson - August 1, 2019
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever - July 22, 2019
- My top 16 tips for beginning homeschoolers - July 17, 2019
- 12 Tips for Living Out of Your Car - July 9, 2019
- 15 Things I learned from One Second After & My Survival Tips - July 4, 2019