With photos and tips from RightWingMom.
Last year I made an appearance on Good Morning, Arizona, a local morning news show. My job was to show what items could be included in a Survival Mom’s purse-size emergency kit. It was a fun challenge to see how much I could fit into an old sunglasses case.
I knew I wanted to include money but I needed it to be somewhat inaccessible to me, the free-spending adult in the family!, and also waterproof. I folded up about $50 in cash and then used my Food Saver to vacuum pack the emergency cash. I trimmed the edges so it fit nicely in the case, and voila! Waterproof and Lisa-proof emergency cash!
Now that I’m packing suitcases for another trip, I decided to use my Food Saver to vacuum pack a few other items:
- travel-size packages of Clorox wipes. The airtight seal will keep them nice and moist.
- Ditto for packages of baby wipes and makeup remover wipes.
- This trip will be spent at a beach, so I vacuum packed a dry t-shirt and pair of underwear per person.
For a couple of camping trips last year, I used the Food Saver to seal up rolls of toilet paper (remove the center cardboard tube first).
RightWingMom says, “Lisa asked me what other uses could there be for a Food Saver machine. It dawned on me, I’ve used mine for at least two other uses.
- I used it to seal a box of Strike on Box matches approximately 3 years ago. I have always been concerned that the pressure may have compromised the matches, but after cutting the package open and pulling the match box open, I found them to be in perfect condition! I re-sealed the matches for a future camping trip or emergency.
- I’ve also vacuum sealed batteries. Due to the hot and humid climate we live in, packing these items in this manner made sense.
- Other items that might do well with a sealer are feminine products and some clothing items.
What other items could be used using a vacuum-sealer machine, Food Saver or otherwise?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 20 All-Natural Recipes For the Cold & Flu Season - December 8, 2017
- Prepper to Prepper: Why did you begin prepping? - December 6, 2017
- Skill-Based Gift Ideas to Suit Every Survival Kid - November 29, 2017
- 2017 Survival Mom Gift Guide - November 26, 2017
- Battle of the Mini Survival Kits: Which one is best? - November 22, 2017