With photos and tips from RightWingMom.
Last year I made an appearance on Good Morning, Arizona, a local morning news show. My job was to show what items could be included in a Survival Mom’s purse-size emergency kit. It was a fun challenge to see how much I could fit into an old sunglasses case.
I knew I wanted to include money but I needed it to be somewhat inaccessible to me, the free-spending adult in the family!, and also waterproof. I folded up about $50 in cash and then used my Food Saver to vacuum pack the emergency cash. I trimmed the edges so it fit nicely in the case, and voila! Waterproof and Lisa-proof emergency cash!
Now that I’m packing suitcases for another trip, I decided to use my Food Saver to vacuum pack a few other items:
- travel-size packages of Clorox wipes. The airtight seal will keep them nice and moist.
- Ditto for packages of baby wipes and makeup remover wipes.
- This trip will be spent at a beach, so I vacuum packed a dry t-shirt and pair of underwear per person.
For a couple of camping trips last year, I used the Food Saver to seal up rolls of toilet paper (remove the center cardboard tube first).
RightWingMom says, “Lisa asked me what other uses could there be for a Food Saver machine. It dawned on me, I’ve used mine for at least two other uses.
- I used it to seal a box of Strike on Box matches approximately 3 years ago. I have always been concerned that the pressure may have compromised the matches, but after cutting the package open and pulling the match box open, I found them to be in perfect condition! I re-sealed the matches for a future camping trip or emergency.
- I’ve also vacuum sealed batteries. Due to the hot and humid climate we live in, packing these items in this manner made sense.
- Other items that might do well with a sealer are feminine products and some clothing items.
What other items could be used using a vacuum-sealer machine, Food Saver or otherwise?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Prepper to Prepper: Basic Food Storage Advice - October 9, 2017
- Don’t Freeze to Death in Your Own Home? Learn How to Live in Just One Room - October 6, 2017
- Pure Water, No Matter What: A Review of Berkey Water Filters - September 26, 2017
- Many Streams Make a Mighty Fine Income - September 25, 2017
- Do’s & Don’ts for comforting someone who has just lost everything - September 23, 2017