If it’s springtime, that means that camping season is just days or weeks ahead. Prepper Mom, who writes at A Prepared Mother, submitted a list for my List Contest that I thought was too fun to not post. If you’ve ever gone long term camping, you’ll be nodding your head in agreement, and then will have plenty more observations to add to this list!
- Snails can CEMENT themselves to nearly anything, and often they will do it in the least expected places.
- You MUST make peace with the giant spiders. They eat mosquitoes.
- Raccoons have no respect for personal property.
- If you fall asleep in in the open, don’t be surprised if you wake up with wildlife curled up with you.
- Nothing shiny is ever safe in the open from raccoons.
- Armadillos like to lick plastic and exposed toes.
- Make peace with skunks or your life will stink (literally).
- Always look where you’re taking a squat (answering nature’s call) at least three times before going.
- Make sure you know what bull thistle looks like.
- Don’t allow people to throw cigarettes in the latrines.
- Cedar smoke may be hard to live with, but mosquitoes are much harder to deal with.
- Don’t camp by still waters.
- Clear well the area where you put your tent. Rocks, briars, and twigs don’t just disappear because you put a tarp over them.
- Racoons will chew through things they cannot open easily.
- It’s easier to appease the raccoon than to keep buying new things.
- Shake your clothes well before putting them on.
- Wet tobacco makes fire ant stings stop hurting.
- You may not react to the first, second or 100th fire ant bite, but someday you will and get huge welts from them.
- Don’t camp anywhere near fire ants.
- No matter how awesome that spot in a valley looks, and no matter how much your significant other likes it, don’t camp there. Water ALWAYS goes to the valley.
- Do not attempt to burn American literature books. It won’t work.
- Raccoons can chew through sterilite containers.
- You cannot protect your valuables from raccoons unless you half bury a box in the ground and set a small boulder over it.
- Dont piss off Blue Jays. They remember and have no inhibitions in attacking you.
- ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS check your shoes before putting them on.
What do you have to add?
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Back to Basics Bundle: 70 Ebooks, Online Courses, and More! - January 17, 2017
- Surviving Iceland: My #1 Survival Concern - January 16, 2017
- 7 Things To Do Right Now To Get Ready For a Fabulous Summer Garden - January 15, 2017
- 24 Hour Sale on Preppers University Courses - January 1, 2017
- 9 Ways to Train Your Brain to Respond in a Crisis - December 31, 2016