Camping is more than just equipment – Here is a list of skills you need to have
Have you decided to take the Survival Mom Family Camping Challenge? If so, you might find this list interesting and helpful. How many of these skills do you already have? Which do other family members have and which will you need to learn?
Keep in mind that these skills aren’t just limited to camping. They are basic survival skills as well, which might come in handy someday if you or your children are lost or need to evacuate to a rural area.
- Cook over an open fire
- Know multiple ways to start a fire
- Know how to safely put out a fire
- Store food safely outdoors
- Cook on a camp stove
- Learn how to tie a reef knot, bowline, sheet bend, clove-hitch knot and when to use them
- Correctly sharpen a knife
- Safely use both a knife and a hatchet
- Identify edible wild plants and use them in recipes
- Take a wilderness survival course
- Learn to hunt both small and large game
- Choose the best spot for a campsite
- Pitch a tent correctly
- Learn how to navigate using a compass
- Know how to stay cool and warm when there’s no power available
- Recognize tracks of various animals in your area
- Know how to find water in the wilderness
- Know how to filter and purify water
- Know how to navigate using the sun and stars
- Know how to survive outdoors in the winter
- How to not get lost and what to do if it happens anyway
What other skills would you add to this list?
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.© Copyright 2012 The Survival Mom, All rights Reserved. Written For: The Survival Mom
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Home Canning And Preserving GIVEAWAY! - July 1, 2014
- REVIEW: Green coffee beans – The Perfect Cuppa Joe Today and Long-Term Storage Tomorrow - July 1, 2014
- 17 Things to Do with Tomatoes - June 29, 2014
(23) Readers Comments
No Banner to display