Everyone loves dessert. If you love berries, too, this is the post for you! These are all tasty and far healthier than many other desserts. Several are even gluten free.
The first two recipes are from Emergency Essentials and include ingredients that are shelf stable, meaning they can be stored at room temperature for long periods of time. If your family loves berries of all kinds, you should check out the freeze-dried versions. They’re nearly as nutritious as the fresh versions and they are super easy to incorporate in recipes. I use them frequently in my breakfast smoothis.
Be sure to learn about the 6 enemies of food storage so your food will remain nutritious and tasty, long term.
Sweet Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Add ½ cup Strawberry Powder to a white cake mix or batter, along with ½ cup extra water. Bake according to directions for your altitude.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
3-4 cup Powdered sugar
1/3 cup Strawberry powder
1 cup softened (but not melted) butter
1/2 tsp salt, if you used unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, omit this salt
2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Milk or cream to achieve desired consistency (more than plain frosting, as the strawberry powder tends to thicken)
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed to be sure it’s all soft and creamy.
- Mix strawberry powder with powdered sugar.
- Gradually add 3 cups of the powdered sugar mixture, beating on low speed. Once it’s mixed, increase speed to medium and add vanilla if desired.
- Add milk or cream to achieve the consistency you want in your frosting.
Blackberry Cobbler Delight
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dehydrated fat-free milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
4 cup Freeze dried blackberries with juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a 9″ x 13″ cake pan.
- Mix next 4 ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Pour melted butter into flour mixture without scraping pan. Stir until blended.
- Pour blackberries with juice over batter.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour.
And now for 19 more berry dessert recipes!
You’ll find all these and more on my Pinterest dessert board!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast! - May 6, 2020
- Spring Gardening: 5 Common Sense Steps to Grow What You Eat - April 29, 2020
- Prepper Food: 5 Fresh Essentials That Must Be On Your List - April 19, 2020
- 28 Inconvenient Truths About TEOTWAWKI - April 15, 2020
- Make Your Own Yeast - March 24, 2020