Preppers who can afford it are encouraged to buy precious metals also known as PMs. If you cannot afford gold and silver bullion or coins, there is still value in having some types of silver in your stockpile. The value is maintaining your health.
Silverware (solid or plated)
It is believed that the wealthy in history have had better health because they ate off silver utensils. If you have silver plated flatware, it’s useless for melt value but can be invaluable for the health benefits. Switch to your “good silver” when society collapses and you may greatly reduce your need for medical attention!
Colloidal Silver (purchased or homemade)
This substance has been used for years. Yes, I remember the guy who turned blue! He abused the use of homemade colloidal silver (CS) and drank it daily; everything in moderation!
Whether you stock up on commercially produced CS or have the supplies on hand to DIY, this is an excellent item to add to your medical supplies.
Store-bought CS can be very costly to stockpile. If you’re considering making your own, here are some suggestions:
DIY Steps to make your own colloidal silver
– 8-12 oz glass jar
– Ultrafine silver wire or bullion (.999)*
– 3 9v batteries
– 3 9v battery terminal clip snap-ons
– 2 small alligator clips
1. Connect 3 battery clips in series (positive to negative, connecting red wires to black). On the 2 unconnected wire ends, attach alligator clips. You can either solder this together or use electrical tape after twisting the wires together.
2. Put batteries on the clips. (Don’t touch the clips once the batteries are connected or they will short out.) Wash the jar then fill it with distilled water.
3. Run the silver wires parallel into the water, ideally about 3/4″ apart. Don’t let them touch each other when the batteries are connected. Attach the alligator clip leads to the silver wires.
4. Once the wires are connected to power, watch for a white cloud to begin forming between them. First, bubbles will form on the wires and 5-10 minutes later, particles will be seen emitting from one of them. Run the generator for 10 minutes past this point to make it approximately 5-7 ppm.
5. When the process is complete, pour the liquid through an unbleached coffee filter into an amber or dark blue glass container. These can sometimes be purchased at health food stores and on Amazon. Your liquid should be either clear or a very light yellow. Running the process too long will create a dark or cloudy liquid which is less effective.
Shelf life of DC-generated colloidal silver is approximately 14-30 days. Shake well before using.
This video provides very good step-by step instructions on creating your own generator. He also includes alternative power sources including: regular 9V batteries, re-chargeable 9V batteries, a DC transformer, and solar panels.
If you are concerned about your ability to build your own generator, there are companies who will sell you anything from a pre-fabricated generator to a complete CS generator kit.
SilverGen has an excellent list of uses for CS. Consider printing these suggestions and adding them to your Survival Binder or stashing the list next to your homemade CS.
*Testimonial from The Survival Mom: The kids and I take a couple of teaspoons of colloidal silver a few times a week. When my son had a mouthful of sores last year, I had him swish his mouth twice a day with colloidal silver. After just 2 days, the sores had cleared up. From personal experience I know they usually hang around a lot longer.
Not everyone agrees that colloidal silver is helpful as an alternative medicine, so do your own research before using it for medical purposes.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Do You Know How to Clean Up a Biological Mess? - October 19, 2020
- Last-Minute Hurricane Prepping - August 24, 2020
- The 16-Second Survival Breath - July 29, 2020
- TEOTWAWKI has finally arrived - July 21, 2020
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard - June 12, 2020