If you could spend an hour with Ma Ingalls, what questions would you ask her? These are my questions. The answers are what I imagine she would say, loosely based on the era and technology of the time. Enjoy!
10. What is your favorite cooking utensil?
Answer: Dutch oven because they’re versatile and very durable.
My Latest Videos
9. When traveling, how do you stay fresh and clean?
Answer: Wash cloth (durable paper towels) with mixture of baby wash and water. Not a substitute for a bath, but it’s better than nothing.
8. What do I do if I run out of toothpaste?
Answer: Use baking soda. Pile a small amount on your toothbrush and clean those pearly whites. It will also whiten your teeth.
7. My child has a cut, and I have NO Neosporin. What do I do?
Answer: Garlic and honey are both excellent natural antibiotics.
6. Would you ever eat a squirrel or an opossum?
Answer: Yes, absolutely! If Pa could catch a few, I’d pan fry them in my Dutch oven with some olive oil and garlic. If you don’t have olive oil, try some lard from the pig you slaughtered last winter.
5. How can I treat a boil, without lancing it with a hot knife?
*** If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll get the lancing comment.
Answer: Place tomato paste on a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and will bring the boil to a head.
4. What do you use to soothe a sore throat?
Answer: Mix ¼ cup of vinegar with ¼ cup of honey. Take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
3. How do you get stains out of your laundry?
Answer: Lemon juice and baking soda. Combine the two on the stain and let it sit for a few hours. Wash as usual.
2. Is it difficult to raise chickens?
Answer: No. Build them a coop to lock them up at night and keep dangerous critters from killing them. Feed them from your garden. They also love rice. It naturally re-hydrates them.
And the #1 question I’d like to ask Ma Ingalls…
1. How do you pass the time during those long cold winters?
Answer: Find a hobby, or two, and accumulate all the supplies you’ll need. I prefer hobbies that are beneficial to my family like quilting and knitting. The quilts and afghans are also great for snuggling with Pa in front of the fireplace!
Guest post by Right Wing Mom.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 27 More Tips From a Master Gardener - April 2, 2019
- 10 Ways to Use Wild Violets for Food and Medicine - April 1, 2019
- 7 Things To Do Right Now To Get Ready For a Fabulous Summer Garden - March 25, 2019
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: Garden Centers - March 18, 2019
- The Future of Emergency Response: 5G Ultra Wideband - March 14, 2019