Oblivion, the 51st State
Every once in a while I’m asked what my friends and family think of our focus on preparedness. My response is that I usually don’t talk about it with anybody. At first I did, wanting to be helpful, but after a while, I grew tired of feeling defensive about something that, to us, is just a rational thing to do. One relative told me that God wouldn’t bless and protect my family because we weren’t relying on Him. Others have looked at me long and hard and then quickly changed the subject. A few have taken my husband aside and asked, “Why is Lisa DOING this??” It seems that the State of Oblivion is alive and well with an ever-growing population!
No one likes a party pooper, but just because something has never happened, doesn’t mean it never will! The current state of our economy is a man-made disaster affecting everyone, and few of us saw that coming. Threats to our national security are popping up all over the place, and I don’t think anyone scoffs anymore at the idea of homegrown terrorists. Although Oblivion might seem like a great place to reside, it’s about as safe as swimming in shark infested waters. Just because you don’t see them, doesn’t mean they aren’t there!
Maybe becoming a “prepper” seems too fanatical for your comfort level, and you’re not sure you want to leave Oblivion completely. Consider taking just three common sense baby steps, if you haven’t already. They’re not radical or kooky, and anyone can do them.
- Make saving money a top priority. Pinch pennies every way you can. Tell yourself it’s for the greater good.
- Get out of debt. Read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey for inspiration and practical ideas.
- List five breakfasts, lunches, and dinners you and your family normally eat. Begin buying ingredients for those meals until you have a one-month’s supply. Repeat this step for a different set of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Repeat again until you have at least a three-month’s supply of stored food.
Set a goal to see how far along you get in three months. Trust me. These steps are a small price to pay for the peace of mind they bring. It’s been years since I lived in the state of Oblivion, and I don’t miss it a bit!
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.© Copyright 2011 The Survival Mom, All rights Reserved. Written For: The Survival Mom
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- HERCulean Giveaway with 4 Lucky Winners! - July 14, 2014
- Win CASH, Prizes, and have fun this Monday with a Sentry Safe Live Burn and me! - July 11, 2014
- Food storage recipes for your sweet tooth - July 5, 2014
(41) Readers Comments
No Banner to display