I spotted this ingenious and simple savings plan* on Facebook, posted it on my wall, and it went viral with 3,074 likes and 4,230 shares within a couple of days. I’ve never seen anything like it. Obviously, this plan hit a nerve with a large number of people who know they need to save, want to save, but are dealing with the reality of tight budgets.
On many calendars, each week is numbered, beginning with Week #1: January 1-7. On this 52 weeks savings plan, you save the amount of dollars that corresponds to that week’s number. If one week you find yourself with extra cash, add it to the pot. You’ll end up with more than the $1378 total by the end of December or you’ll have created a bit of a padding for weeks that don’t have any extra cash left over. The 52 Weeks Savings Plan is highly versatile. You can begin with Week 52 in January, or start on whichever week is easiest for you.
Print out this chart or make your own and check off each week as you save. If there are other members in the family with an income, encourage them to do the same. A family with 2 breadwinners could end up with a grand total of $2756, and that’s no small-potatoes! *I have no idea who originally created this chart, but I thank them!
UPDATE: Since this was posted, readers have made some really great suggestions
1. Get the whole family involved. Discuss how you’ll spend the savings, give some to charity, etc. and then post a progress chart. Kids who earn money for odd jobs, babysitting, and the like can contribute, so everyone learns how to save and then gets to share in the rewards!
2. The last half of the savings plan can be pretty pricey per week. If that’s too much for you right now, go through weeks 1-26 twice. You’ll still end up with a nice balance at the end.
3. Others have suggested starting with Week 52 at the beginning of the year so the larger savings can be set aside at a time of year when holiday expenses aren’t an issue.
For more help following the 52 Weeks Savings Plan…
Follow along with a special series of monthly sales, tailored specifically to the needs and interests of Survival Moms and their families. Check out these examples:
Retailers typically offer the same types of sales each month, year after year, so these articles continue to have value and important info for bargain hunters!
Join other Survival Moms in our very active 52 Week Savings Club on Facebook! 1625 members and growing!
Read, “10 Ways to Make the 52 Weeks Savings Plan Work For You” — even more creative ideas!
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 6, The Gift of Memories - December 6, 2016
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 5, Keep it Simple, Sweetie! - December 5, 2016
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 4, A gift of service - December 4, 2016
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 3, Light Up Someone’s Holiday - December 3, 2016
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 2, Read All About It! - December 2, 2016