Hi! Welcome to The Survival Mom blog. It’s hard to believe my blog is already 6 years old. When I first started it in 2009, I knew nothing of blogging. Nothing. I just knew that I wanted to help other moms and families who were worried about the economy and the general direction our country was headed.
Not a whole lot has changed since then…other than I’m a real live blogger now who has loads and loads of information to share.
Here on The Survival Mom blog, you’ll find over 1600 articles to help you become a proactive mother hen who’s determined to keep her family healthy, safe, and ready for life’s challenges. I call those challenges “everyday emergencies and worst case scenarios” — that covers just about every base, doesn’t it?
Before anything else, why not join the Survival Mom community on Facebook, and get notices whenever new articles are posted! Click here to join. For an even smaller group, join “We Are Survival Moms” to network with other preparedness-minded women.
Who this site is for
This site is for anyone who understands the importance of being ready for anything. Your motto is, “Be Prepared!”, even if you were never a Boy Scout. This site is for anyone who is willing to throw themselves in front of the ones they love most if that’s what it takes to keep them safe. The ones who want to embrace life, live joyfully each day, and keep a supply of hand sanitizer and maybe some pepper spray in their back pocket. The ones who want to live in peace, knowing they’re prepared.
It’s also for the mom who wants to live frugally and wonders just how much all this prepping is going to cost anyway! I’ve put together a curated list of the preparedness gear and supplies that I started with, and you can read through that list here.
This site is for you. We’re two peas in a pod.
Your all-in-one resource
Over the years, I’ve written hundreds of articles on preparedness and survival. My book, Survival Mom: How to Prepare Your Family For Everyday Disasters and Worst Case Scenarios, was the culmination of five years of writing as The Survival Mom and the result of hundreds of hours of research, interviewing experts, and putting into practice what I learned.
(I’m pretty darn proud of all those 5-star reviews!)
Let’s stick together, starting today!
If you’re as busy and distracted as I am, you probably will forget to drop by The Survival Mom every now and then. What I can offer you are regular updates, that are simple lists and links of all the articles that have been posted on my blog.
You decide how often you’d like to hear from me. With each of these options, you’ll occasionally get articles, giveaways, and updates that I’ve written exclusively for my newsletter friends.
What is a prepper?
You may have heard the term “prepper” and perhaps you’ve watched an episode or two of “Doomsday Preppers”. If so, you may be very surprised to learn that I, Lisa Bedford, the Survival Mom, am a prepper! You’d never know that to look at me, my house, or my kids, and this article on Vice.com explains a little more about my prepping perspective.
We’re so normal it’s boring.
When I first realized how unprepared I was for any emergency, I started working on a few baby steps, and here they are:
- Plan for a short-term emergency — Just 2 or 3 weeks. No zombies allowed!
- Prepare your vehicle — We moms spent a lot of time behind the wheel!
- Get smart about potential disasters — There’s no use worrying about a tsunami if you live in Des Moines.
- Get home, no matter what — Your home is your castle, or maybe a make-shift bunker!
Maybe you’ve heard rumors that preppers store food? Well, we do and it’s easier and less expensive than you might think. Check out these articles:
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times
- Top 10 Foods for Stocking Up
- The 6 Enemies of Food Storage
Along with articles, I also realized that I needed checklists to help me stay organized. The ones most helpful to me are these:
- The Everyday Emergency Kit — Customize to your own needs.
- Make a Grab-n-Go Binder — Keep all your vital documents in one place.
- Quick Start Guide to Getting Prepared
- Vehicle Emergency Checklist
You’ll find a lot more on the blog to help you along your prepper journey, including recorded webinars (online classes), podcasts, and videos. Just go to my Homepage to access those and browse to your heart’s content.
There are thousands of women just like you, across the country and around the world, who have the same concerns and want the same things for their families: peace, stability, security. You can connect with them in one of my Facebook groups.
- Are you on a tight budget and want to build up an emergency savings fund? Join the 52 Weeks Savings Club!
- Do you have special challenges that may make prepping more difficult? My Preppers With Challenges group is for you!
- Do you just want to hang out with other Survival Moms, ask questions, give advice and know that the group is closed to everyone on your Facebook friends list? Join We Are Survival Moms!
- Do you live in California? Arizona? Texas? I have state-specific groups for you.
- Looking to get fit and maybe lose a few pounds? Skinny Survival Moms is a great support group.
- And, of course, there is the blog’s Facebook page that you can Like here.
With all Facebook groups, you’ll need to be active occasionally by Liking a post, Sharing one, or leaving a Comment. That’s how Facebook knows that you still want to be notified when something new is posted. You can also click “Notifications” at the top of any of these Facebook groups and select how many posts you’d like to see. Otherwise, the sneaky Facebook gremlins will begin disappearing your new group’s posts from your Facebook feed.
So glad to have you on board!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- A Four-Seasons Emergency Plan: Summer Survival - May 24, 2019
- 32 Survival Skills Your Child Should Know and Be Able to Do ASAP! - May 21, 2019
- My Story: Surviving a Powerful Summer Storm - May 18, 2019
- Household Items That Can Be Used as Organic Fertilizer - May 14, 2019
- Diatomaceous Earth for Controlling Pests - May 6, 2019