The Rule of 3 is an old stand-by in survival circles.
“Three is two.
Two is one.
One is none.”
Chances are you have multiple ways of purifying water and have more than one evacuation route planned, but have you applied the Rule of 3 to staying warm?
Cold kills, and it’s dangerous to rely on only one source of warmth, especially at a time when indicators point to the very real possibility of spikes in the cost of energy and fuel. We may see a time when millions of families have to choose between staying warm in the winter and having enough food to eat.
In the meantime, think about how you and your family could stay warm if your usual source of power was gone.
- Do you have enough blankets to add to beds and hang up on windows?
- Is there a way you could protect your outside walls from high winds and extreme cold?
- Can you add extra insulation in your exterior walls?
- In extreme circumstances, would you be able to shut off all unnecessary rooms and contain your living and sleeping quarters in just one area?
- Does everyone in the family have the right clothing for spending time outdoors in cold temperatures?
- Do you know the warning signs of hypothermia?
- Is your vehicle equipped with methods of staying warm in case of a breakdown?
What other options could you add to your home in order to stay warm? In the coming days, retailers are going out of their way to offer steep discounts on just about everything. If money is tight, maybe a really good snowsuit or heavy jacket would make a fine Christmas gift in place of a new electronic gadget. When it comes to staying warm in cold weather, safety takes a priority over luxuries.
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Fruit Juice in the Pantry — Giveaway! - May 4, 2016
- 43 Super-Frugal Tips for Cutting Down on Household Expenses - April 29, 2016
- Using Dried Eggs: A Tutorial - April 26, 2016
- 16 Super-Frugal Tips to Save Loads of Money on Entertainment & Holidays - April 24, 2016
- Don’t Make These 4 Financial Mistakes! - April 15, 2016