The Rule of 3 is an old stand-by in survival circles.
“Three is two.
Two is one.
One is none.”
Chances are you have multiple ways of purifying water and have more than one evacuation route planned, but have you applied the Rule of 3 to staying warm?
Cold kills, and it’s dangerous to rely on only one source of warmth, especially at a time when indicators point to the very real possibility of spikes in the cost of energy and fuel. We may see a time when millions of families have to choose between staying warm in the winter and having enough food to eat.
In the meantime, think about how you and your family could stay warm if your usual source of power was gone.
- Do you have enough blankets to add to beds and hang up on windows?
- Is there a way you could protect your outside walls from high winds and extreme cold?
- Can you add extra insulation in your exterior walls?
- In extreme circumstances, would you be able to shut off all unnecessary rooms and contain your living and sleeping quarters in just one area?
- Does everyone in the family have the right clothing for spending time outdoors in cold temperatures?
- Do you know the warning signs of hypothermia?
- Is your vehicle equipped with methods of staying warm in case of a breakdown?
What other options could you add to your home in order to stay warm? In the coming days, retailers are going out of their way to offer steep discounts on just about everything. If money is tight, maybe a really good snowsuit or heavy jacket would make a fine Christmas gift in place of a new electronic gadget. When it comes to staying warm in cold weather, safety takes a priority over luxuries.
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.© Copyright 2011 The Survival Mom, All rights Reserved. Written For: The Survival Mom
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- When Things Go South or What to Expect When SHTF - July 29, 2015
- An Important Update On the Current Silver Market - July 27, 2015
- 6 Essential Attributes of Successful Survivalists - July 19, 2015
- Survive the Family Road Trip With These 13 Tips - July 17, 2015
- July Skill of the Month: Boost Your Canning Skills - July 11, 2015