Red, white, and blue is such a gorgeous color combination that it’s no wonder a total of 38 countries selected those colors for their flags. Personally, I’m kind of partial to the USA flag.
When it comes to food, these colors come together to create dishes that are not only patriotic looking but mouth-watering and totally delicious. When you add the convenience of freeze-dried foods, that makes it possible to enjoy eye-catching, yummy food all year long.
Why incorporate freeze-dried foods? Because they are totally shelf-stable, don’t need refrigerating, and, as individual ingredients, they can be used in hundreds of other recipes. Total versatility, which is something I encourage when it comes to food storage. If you’re new to the idea of freeze-dried fruit, check out this tutorial.
Try some of these over the Fourth of July weekened and through the coming months.
2 c. water
2/3 c. Instant Milk powder
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. butter, cold
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. water
1/2 c. Honey Crystals
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. Whole Strawberries – Freeze Dried
1 1/2 c. Blackberries – Freeze Dried
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
1 1/4 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. Scrambled Egg Mix
1/2 c. butter, chilled and cubed
3 tbsp. ice water
For pastry cream:
- Combine water, milk powder, ¼ cup of the sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until milk starts to steam.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining sugar.
- Slowly pour scalded milk into egg mixture a little bit at a time until eggs are tempered.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens (2–3 minutes).
- Transfer to electric mixer with paddle attachment. Add butter and vanilla and beat on medium speed until butter melts.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface of cream to prevent skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, beat on low speed in mixer until smooth.
To make crust:
- Combine flour, sugar, and Scrambled Egg Mix in a food processor.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal (10–20 seconds).
- Slowly drizzle in ice water while mixing. Mix until dough holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Divide into 6 equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disk and wrap in plastic.
- Chill dough for one hour. Roll out each crust until ⅛” thick. Press dough into 4” tart pans. Place pans in freezer until dough is chilled (about 20 minutes).
- Place pie weights (can use beans) in each tart with parchment between it and bake at 400⁰F for about 15 minutes.
For fruit topping:
- Combine water, honey crystals, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add fruit and stir lightly.
- Drizzle in cornstarch slurry while stirring. Allow to simmer for 1 minute and instantly remove from heat and cool in ice bath.
- Add pastry cream to cooked tart shells, filling almost to top and making a small indent in the middle for topping.
- Top with berry mixture and allow to cool slightly before serving. Yields 6 tarts.