Comforting Beef & Vegetable Soup
This forgiving recipe allows you to make adjustments to suit your budget, taste, and family size.
1 4 quart pot with lid
1 Cutting board
1 Chef's knife
1 Vegetable peeler
- 1 cup freeze-dried ground beef Rehydrate in 1/2 cup warm water. Chop to a fine consistency before adding to soup.
- 2 T. avocado oil or the oil/fat of your choice
- 4 cups water or beef stock/broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 beef bouillon cubes, if using water instead of beef stock
- 1 ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. black pepper
- ¼ t. dried oregano
- ½ t. dried basil
- 1 cup fresh, frozen, or freeze-dried green beans½
Place a large pot over medium-high heat, and allow pot to heat for 1 minute.
Add 2 T. of oil and heat for one minute. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, onions, and celery and continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
Add all remaining ingredients. Bring soup to a boil.
Reduce heat and cover pot with lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
If desired, adjust the salt and seasonings to taste.
This tasty soup can easily be stretched to serve more people by adding any of the following:
With these additional ingredients, adjust the amount of liquid if soup becomes too thick.
- A drained can of corn
- A drained can of pinto, black, or navy beans
- 1 cup of macaroni -- Add an additional cup of water.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup cooked barley or other grain
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen peas