My life has experienced some big changes lately. What was once a chaotic home filled with 5 children, is now me, my husband and our 14-year-old daughter. I no longer find smelly gym socks in the couch cushions or try to break up fights about who used the last of the blue nail polish. It is nice. With the move to Georgia last year, I wanted to do something new. I home-school our youngest, and I wanted something I could do at home. My friend was nudging me to consider online teaching like she was doing. To be honest, I balked at the idea of teaching. I had spent many long years raising my own children and was ready for a break from anyone shorter than me. But, my friend convinced me that I would not regret this. So, I applied with VIPKID and was hired. I have been having fun and loving every minute.
Here is the scoop –
- VIPKID provides fully immersive online English language classes. The curriculum is based on the U.S. State Standards and uses a flipped-classroom approach to foster creativity and critical thinking skills. The children are between the ages 4-12 years old.
- The curriculum team has already designed materials for every class. However, teachers must prepare for class by reviewing the class materials beforehand. (This takes just a minute or two).
- VIPKID has developed its own education platform to enable one-on-one classes. (If you can point and click, you can do this) All classes are one-on-one.
- In the last 6 months, VIPKID has hired over 10,000 new teachers. The company is growing and will be expanding to other countries in the next few years.
What you need to have to qualify-
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One-year teaching experience. This can be tutoring someone, volunteering at a school, teaching at church, and any other experience where you have taught.
- The ability to pass a background test.
- $$ THE PAY $$ VIPKID pays between $14-22 per hour. That is figuring that you can do two, 25-minute classes per hour. (You’re an independent contractor, so set aside money for taxes) VIPKID pays you through direct deposit once a month. And they offer a monthly incentive to the teachers.
- You can choose your own schedule, there is no minimum or maximum hourly requirements. The students take the classes in the morning or after school until bedtime. You just click on the time slots that you want to work.
- You can work with VIPKID from anywhere if you have a stable internet connection. I attended an out of state funeral and taught my students in the hotel room. I just brought my laptop along with me.
- The students are usually well behaved. They look forward to class time and enjoy their teacher. The parents are supportive and encouraging.
- You do not need to worry about lesson plans, report cards, discipline, or parent/teacher conferences. They have staff in China that takes care of that.
- You can teach in yoga pants! The company recommends that you wear an orange shirt, though it isn’t mandatory. (The students recognize orange as the company color) Unless you love to stand when you teach, the students only see the top part of you.
- VIPKID has an on online community for teachers to communicate and share. Free online workshops are provided to help you improve teaching skills.
- This is a low stress The lessons are on a power point, ready to go. You go through the slides with the kids. Make some funny faces and silly voices when you teach, have fun with it. I have a whiteboard and some fun props that I picked up from the dollar store. After the class, you spend a minute or two and leave feedback for the parent and any future teacher. Then you are done!
Minimum System Requirements-
- Operating System Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, MAC OS 10.8x
- CPU Intel Core i3 above CPU, memory at least 4GB RAM
- Network Wired DSL Internet Connection – at least 20 Mbps
- Latest version of Flash and a camera, most laptops have one installed already
- A headset with a microphone, stable output, and input
If this sounds like something that you, or someone you know, could do to increase savings, pay off debt or plan for a vacation- click here for more information about VIPKID. This link will let them know that a current teacher (me) has shared this information with you.
Latest posts by Erin Foster (see all)
- What can a Billy Joel concert teach us about situational awareness? - August 2, 2019
- How to Get the Most Out of the LDS Preparedness Manual - July 2, 2019
- Survive Summer With These Clever Bug Bite Remedies - May 2, 2019
- Smart Advice to Help You Survive the Government Shutdown — or any other surprise financial setback - January 15, 2019
- How to Choose the Best Straw Water Filter For You - January 10, 2019