As you may know, my family and I recently sold our house, packed up everything we owned and headed cross country to our new state, Texas. On our final day of packing, I was giving away all the food in my pantry, not knowing how long our belongings would be in storage.
My sister-in-law was tossing packages of spaghetti, cans of kidney beans, and chicken broth into a box. When I saw her reach for my bucket of coconut oil, I yelled, “No! I’m keeping the coconut oil!”
If you haven’t started using coconut oil yet, you’re missing out on a great food storage ingredient as well as a product that does great things for your health.
Storing any oil is tricky because they all go rancid, even before you can smell the rancidity. The rule of thumb is that a bottle of oil will last for about a year, but that’s not taking into consideration the length of time it sat in a warehouse or on the grocery store shelf. When it comes to oil, it’s always better to buy smaller amounts and rotate through them rather quickly.
Coconut oil is a different story. While it doesn’t have the lifespan of, say, dried beans, it will still stay fresh and usable for a couple of years if stored in a cool, dry, dark location.
Recently, I interviewed Bruce Fife, aka Dr. Coconut of the Coconut Research Center, on my podcast, “Survival Mom Radio Show”. This man has written multiple books about the health benefits of coconut oil, and the list is very long.
Just 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil per day is enough for you to reap the benefits.
Coconut oil is excellent for:
- Brain health
- Weight loss
- Hair and skin conditioning
- Cooking — It is heat stable and does not form free radicals when heated.
- Reducing cholesterol
- Providing a positive antioxidant in the body
- Fighting off bacteria and viruses
Learn more by listening to this episode here.
What else is new on our network this week? Check out these great shows!
[inlinkz_linkup id=365657 mode=1 pageSize=300]
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- A House Fire Changed My Family Forever - September 19, 2019
- Build your emergency kit with this Junk Drawer Challenge! - September 17, 2019
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson - August 1, 2019
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever - July 22, 2019
- My top 16 tips for beginning homeschoolers - July 17, 2019