Every fall, parents around the country breathe a collective sigh of relief. Kids are back in school! As the school year begins, families settle into a predictable routine. Now is a good time to begin taking steps toward some serious prepping, and one of those steps is an inventory of your home, one cupboard and drawer at a time. This inventory will become a part of your Grab-n-Go binder, an invaluable collection of your family’s most important records.
To begin your Home Inventory, you’ll need the following.
- a digital camera
- paper and a pen
- lists of items needed to complete a medical kit, 72 Hour Kits/Bug Out Bags (no need to purchase something you already own)
So, where to begin your inventory? I recommend taking advantage of an incredible FREE online service, Know Your Stuff Home Inventory. This amazing website allows you to set up a free account and then upload photographs and information about your home’s contents all on one secure site. It even guides you through the steps you should take.
When I first reviewed this site, I was a bit skeptical. I mean, what could be more handy to a dishonest person than a website that collects personal information and lists of a home’s valuable contents? Know Your Stuff uses Amazon Secure Servers to store their data, making it reliable and safe.
Go ahead and take this important preparedness step. You’ll probably find numerous useful items for your prepping, perhaps set aside a few (dozen!) items for a garage sale or charity, all while documenting an inventory of your belongings. Don’t forget to print out your inventory, store it in your Grab-n-Go Binder, and then make another copy to store in your home safe, a safety deposit box, or to give to a trusted friend or family member.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- A Survival Mom’s Christmas Wish List - December 13, 2019
- Suggestions for Prepper/Survivalist Christmas Presents - December 5, 2019
- Don’t Just “Fall Back” This Month! Get Prepped for the Winter! - December 1, 2019
- 14 Homemade & Budget-Friendly Christmas Gifts - November 30, 2019
- 2020 Prepping Calendar: Your in-house prepping coach! - November 18, 2019