Every year about this time, Amazon Prime Day pops up with promises of huge savings. From my experience, yes, you can find some amazing deals, but for the most part, the products aren’t things that I want!
“Save 80% on this package of a dozen hot-pink Sharpies!”
Fabulous — except I can’t really use hot-pink Sharpies!
To make this year’s Amazon Prime easier for you to navigate and locate products that will be practical, helpful, and nicely discounted, we’ve spent a few hours wading through pages and pages of upcoming deals and have narrowed it down to my own favorite choices.
You can get the most out of Prime Day by taking these steps:
- Sign up for a FREE 30-day trial of Amazon Prime membership. You’ll be able to take advantage of these discounts and check out the other Prime benefits, such as Prime TV. Some of our favorite TV series are now on Prime TV — Monk, Psych, Eureka, Doctor Who, and Chuck. Make a note to cancel on or before August 16, in order to not be charged for your first year’s membership.
- Search for what you’re interested in and then save those products. Prime Day runs for 36 hours beginning on Monday, July 16, at 3 p.m. ET. Throughout those hours, you can refer back to your saved products to see their current pricing.
- Put those products in your cart and set an alert for when they go on sale. This will help ensure you aren’t tied to your computer or smartphone all. day. long.
- Prioritize what you’re most interested in. Many products will have limited quantities and you’ll need to act quickly to grab what you want most.
- Have a budget. It’s easy to go nuts and buy, buy, buy, but if you have a set amount of money you can spend, stick with it. Amazon always has sales and it’s possible to find similar prices at retail stores when they have seasonal sales and coupons.
- Expect some disappointments. Some products sell out quickly and there’s sure to be an amazing bargain that you missed out on by mere seconds! Be happy with your bargains and the fact that you saved some serious money on products that are going to be used — money well spent!
Even if you happen upon this list well after Prime Day ends, these products are all smart purchases, highly rated, and will likely have discounts throughout the year.
My top picks for 2018 Amazon Prime Day
I’m buying one of these for each member of my family. This one is water resistant and can be strapped to any belt — not just worn around the neck. It would be perfect for a busy mom who doesn’t want to manage her kids AND a purse!
My family loves to ride the 80+ miles of greenbelt trails in our area but I worry about having a flat tire miles from home. This repair kit has great reviews.
I mean it when I say you can never have too many flashlights! On a past camping trip to Iceland, my little LED flashlight was a lifesaver. When they can fit in a pocket or purse easily and are lightweight and inexpensive, well there’s no reason to not own 5 or 10 of them!
This little kit holds 120 pieces of first-aid supplies to help you have what you need right when you need it. This kit is a huge upgrade from the little $10 kits at Walmart. If the Prime Day price is big enough, buy one for each emergency kit and/or vehicle.
When you start harnessing the sun’s power for charging batteries and even cooking, it almost feels like magic! If you rely on a cellphone of any type or other electronic devices, a battery charger is a must. Once when my kids were traveling to Lake Tahoe on our own (without Dad), my cell phone died just a few miles from a critical intersection. I was using Google Maps and hadn’t looked ahead to plan my route. Yes, I learned many lessons that day and one of them was the importance of always having more than one way to charge a phone!
With kids out of school for a few more weeks, water adventures are sure to be in your future! Fishing at the lake, tubing down a river, playing in the ocean, swimming in a backyard pool — all opportunities for important things to get wet and ruined! This waterproof pouch is handy all year long. When summer is over, just store it in an emergency kit so you’re ready to fill it with important documents if/when necessary.
Here’s a handy product I’ll bet you didn’t realize you need! I’ve always kept a couple of beach towels under the back seat of my car, but these microfiber towels take up so little room that we now take them on our camping trips and travel. They dry quickly and come in handy for sports and emergency kits. I highly recommend these.
As long as you’re packing food in your emergency kits, they might as well be healthy and as nutritionally dense as possible. These bars are gluten-free, organic, non-GMO, and do not contain soy.
If you don’t regularly cook using cast iron, it’s about time to make that change, especially with this very well-priced bundle. I adore my cast iron skillets and use them on my kitchen range all the time. Pack them up when you go camping, too, because they are perfect to use over a campfire.
You don’t have to be a fanatical germaphobe to carry a pack of these in your purse or vehicle. Public restrooms, fast food restaurants, parks, public pools — just about anywhere you can think of might need a quick wipe-down with one of these!
Not familiar with packing cubes? They are a great way to organize the contents of a suitcase, backpack, emergency kit, or even your vehicle emergency kit. On a recent trip to Ireland, I used these to pack underwear/bras, socks and accessories, shirts, pants/shorts, and miscellaneous. They have all kinds of uses beyond traveling.
I highly recommend having an ultralight backpack that folds into a pouch. Add this to your larger emergency kit and you’ll have a second backpack for carrying supplies should you ever be in a situation where you’ll have to walk a good long distance. This one has helpful exterior and interior pockets and pouches to help you keep your stuff organized.
We were just talking about getting lightweight sleeping bags and now this deal comes along! When you use sleeping bags very often, there are some situations that call for a lightweight bag. This one is a full-size sleeping bag that would fit most people in moderately cold temperatures. It weighs just 2 pounds.
True coffee lovers can’t imagine a world without coffee and this permanent filter might be the answer to their prayers! Fill the filter with coarsely ground coffee, slowly pour hot water over the grounds and in minutes you’ll have brewed coffee to enjoy! No need for electricity as long as you have an alternate way to boil water.
Every home needs an emergency radio that is powered by solar, crank, and batteries. This one is small enough to keep in an emergency kit and can serve as a phone charger.
Unless you’re under the age of 12 or so, you probably don’t enjoy sleeping on the hard ground. If you camp or have plans to rough it in a bug-out scenario, then go easy on yourself and invest in a sleeping pad! There’s no need to endure sleepless nights if you don’t have to! This pad has cells that fill with air and then it compresses into a small tote bag. Handy!
Over the years I’ve noticed that most of my readers are animal lovers. Not sure if y’all love dogs or cats more, but either way, we want to make sure our furry family members are not only loved but are safe and secure as well. This dog life jacket on sale during Prime Day is one way to do that if your beloved friend is safe on or near the water.
Home security is always an important consideration and issue no matter where you live. A few years ago when a friend of mine was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer, her husband installed a video doorbell similar to this one so she would always know who was at the door. This device allows you to do that no matter where you happen to be, if you have a smartphone.
What other great deals did you find on Prime Day?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- A House Fire Changed My Family Forever - September 19, 2019
- Build your emergency kit with this Junk Drawer Challenge! - September 17, 2019
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson - August 1, 2019
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever - July 22, 2019
- My top 16 tips for beginning homeschoolers - July 17, 2019