There have been more than a couple of times that people have posted here about stocking up on 5 Hour Energy drinks, chocolate, coffee and other similar “luxury” items only to have one or more people give a rather withering reply about how foolish they are to even think about anything beyond water, wheat, and bullets. (I’m going to guess those folks don’t have young children at home.)
If you’re a single guy who isn’t looking out for anyone but yourself, that approach might work. You would still probably end up with taste bud fatigue, but that’s your business.
However, a lot of “frivolous” items have very real value in a SHTF situation, and not just for barter. If you are forced to stay up all night driving to get to a safe place, doing guard duty, or nursemaiding someone with food poisoning, wouldn’t a 5 Hour Energy drink come in handy?
Chocolate has proven calming properties in stress-filled situations, among other things, and that can be invaluable. Besides, it really does rock as a barter item.
If I have to get my kids to drink powdered milk, I really don’t want to try it without adding some Hershey’s Chocolate (or Strawberry) Syrup. At least as importantly, my stockpile of Teriyaki sauce buys me some time if my sons favorite brand should ever (please NOOOOO!!!!) change the recipe.
So, what “frivolous” items do you have, and what is your defense of frivolous items?
Latest posts by Bethanne Kim (see all)
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts - October 13, 2018
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: National Parks & Historic Sites - October 8, 2018
- How Evernote Can Help Any Survival Mom Survive - October 5, 2018
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: Hobby Lobby - October 1, 2018
- Camp Mommy: Easy At-Home Kids’ Activities for the Best Summer Vacation Ever - June 23, 2018