“Can we have some nails?” my oldest asked me last weekend.
“We want to make some benches with the scrap wood.”
It was an opportunity to teach them a new skill – hammering a nail. My husband showed them how to do it, found enough hammers and let them loose with their project.
The preschooler quickly got frustrated with crooked nails. The oldest hit her finger with the hammer and cried a bit. But another one kept at it and created four wooden structures that afternoon.
“They’re too young …”
My children are young (8 and younger), but I am forcing myself to look at what they can do this summer instead of what they’re too young to do. I would like to keep them little forever, but they need to have skills to survive in this world. I realized my oldest hasn’t been taught to even use a hand can opener! I will be changing that this summer. I would hate to have them ill prepared if an emergency situation arose.
Summertime Survival Skills 101
They have taken swimming lessons and we have taught them our address and phone number, how to call 911 and how to recognize if someone is choking, but there is so much more to learn! I am putting together a list of things I can teach them this summer.
- Using a can opener
- Heating a can of soup
- Making basic bread
- Starting a fire (and putting it out!)
- Basic first aid – bandages, treating bug bites, treating burns
- Sewing – threading needle, basic stitch, button
- Basic knife safety skills
- Basic shooting skills
- Wildlife recognition
- Edible plants recognition
We will use all the resources available in our area – backyard fire pit, campgrounds, YouTube videos, rainy, boring days and classes offered by our local parks and recreation department.
This is the start of my list – what would you add?
Latest posts by Sarah Anne Carter (see all)
- The Prepper Family’s Summer Bucket List - March 27, 2019
- Learn from My Many Gardening Mistakes - March 13, 2019
- 10 Survival Lessons from The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes — and Why - March 12, 2019
- The Simple Way To Make Bug Out Bags on a Budget - December 26, 2018
- 7 Survival Lessons from Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why - November 21, 2018