Think about it. What would it be like to get out of a city on fire, on foot? How would you cope with a sick child and stores empty of all medications? Imagine driving toward your home and suddenly seeing a mushroom cloud off in the distance. How would you react? What would you do? What could you do now in order to survive then? Believe it or not, doomer lit (literature) may actually help you prepare mentally for these horrific scenarios.
That’s right. Doomer lit isn’t just for entertainment anymore! It can actually be useful in helping us imagine, and then plan for, the unthinkable. Here are some titles that you may enjoy, in a morbid sort of way, and help you contemplate ‘what if’ scenarios and plan for them.
- Patriots, by James Wesley Rawles
- Farnham’s Freehold, by Robert A. Heinlein
- Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart
- Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank
- The Last Centurion, by John Ringo
- One Second After, by William R. Forstchen
- The Road, by Cormac McCarthy (A few doses of Prozac should be included with the purchase of this book.)
- The Stand, by Stephen King
- The Passage, by Justin Cronin
- The Ecomancer, by Chris Jones (only .99 cents on Kindle!)
- The World Ends in Hickory Hollow, by Ardath Mayhar
- Lights Out, by Bradley Jarvis (Another EMP tale.)
- Lucifer’s Hammer, by Larry Niven (This time it’s meteors that ends the world as we know it.)
- Without Warning, by John Birmingham
You may never have to cope with a devastating pandemic, a total wipe-out of earth by nuclear bombs, or a meteor strike, but it sure doesn’t hurt to ponder those ‘what if’ scenarios and think how you might prepare. How you might care for your children and loved ones in an end-of-the-world scenario. Oh, and what better gift to give to someone who thinks you’re crazy for stocking up on wheat and tuna??
Happy reading! ;o)
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard - June 12, 2020
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide - June 10, 2020
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout - June 4, 2020
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why - May 30, 2020
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast! - May 6, 2020