In July 1993, a raging river flooded old downtown West Des Moines. I had just moved in to my soon-to-be new house as a single mom. I had been recently divorced by my husband after 26 years. He was my high school sweetheart, and I thought we would be married for life. My little house represented a new beginning for my daughter and I. I had unpacked everything I owned and headed to the lake on July 6th.
July 10, I was swept out of my house
urried to drive it around the corner away from the raging water in time for me to escape two blocks.
Relying on family, friends, and strangers
Preparing for something else
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 9 Tips to Avoid the Summertime Prepping Slump - July 1, 2018
- Prepper to Prepper: Survival Tips for the Ladies - June 30, 2018
- INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Primitive ways to stay cool - June 28, 2018
- Top Frugal & Practical Tips for Your Next Family Vacation - June 25, 2018
- Camping is more than just equipment – Here is a list of skills you need to have - June 17, 2018