I hope you had a chance to read about Ted Koppel’s newest book, Lights Out, and maybe you’ve already purchased a copy for yourself. I have found it to be an excellent, foundational book for anyone new to the idea of a power grid failure but with a lot of new information for us EMP veterans.
For several years, thousands of experienced preppers have focused on the collapse of our power grid system, whether by EMP, cyberterrorism, or a coronal mass ejection. We’ve been frustrated that no one, from the White House on down, has seemed concerned or even aware of the vulnerability. Now that Ted Koppel is talking about it, I have to admit that it’s quite validating. He commands a national audience and is saying, “Yes, there is a very real reason to be concerned about our power grid.”
In Lights Out, Koppel lays out, plain and simple, just how vulnerable our power grid is and, scarily, depicts a federal government that is wholly unequipped and unprepared to handle the resulting crisis.
Sharing with you some of my notes from reading the book:
- Cyberterrorism — new style of warfare.
- Can be launched from anywhere.
- Virtually impossible to trace.
- Little fear of retaliation.
- The grid is not defended.
- Profit is put before security.
- Grid equipment is old, difficult to replace, and exposed.
- Computer systems designed before threat was known.
- Homeland Security — no plans for dealing with cyberterrorism.
- FEMA — No plans.
- Few seem to be truly convinced of the threat.
- 2013 attack on San Jose substation.
- Took less than an hour!
- 17 transformers destroyed with AK-47s.
- 27 days to restore equipment
- These people knew what they were doing, had likely scouted the area in advance.
- This could have been a dry run for something bigger.
- Just 9 of the most critical substations would cause blackout over most of the country.
- Opening of Cheyenne Mountain
- Possible warning sign that military is aware of coming attack.
- Commander of NORAD: will protect electronic gear from CME or EMP
- Koppel has read and agrees with One Second After.
This is just 2 pages of the notes I took from this book!
I want YOU to read the book, too, so I’m giving away FIVE copies to Survival Mom readers!
It’s super easy to enter this giveaway, which runs through next Tuesday, November 10. Winners will be selected at random and notified via email. If you receive this email notification, you must respond within 48 hours or your prize will be forfeited.
For another perspective on this book see Sarah Anne Carter’s review of Lights Out by Ted Koppel.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 20+ Unusual Items for Stocking Up You May Not Have Thought Of - November 30, 2022
- What’s in Your Faraday Cage? Electronic Devices to Protect! - November 27, 2022
- Simple Steps to Get Ready Now for a Miserable Cold and Flu Season (Plus DIY Recipes!) - November 16, 2022
- Do More Than ‘Fall Back’! Get Prepped for Winter! - November 9, 2022
- 38 Principles of Self-Sufficiency Every Prepper Can Embrace Today - October 30, 2022