Every mom I know is nearly surgically attached to her cell phone, and usually for good reason. She wants to know where every member of her family is at any given moment, and if you’ve ever experienced not being able to get in touch with a child or spouse, you know how scary it can be.
Well, imagine a time when virtually all communication is shut down and you’ll know why huge numbers of Americans are getting their amateur (ham) radio licenses. Not knowing where a family member is is bad enough, but not knowing what is going on outside your own neighborhood would be terrifying.
As Master Po describes in this article, becoming a licensed operator isn’t particularly difficult. Even 11 and 12 year-old kids have passed the exam, so if they can do it, so can you!
Where to begin?
- Read Po’s article to get a good overview of amateur radio and the steps involved in getting your license.
- If you’re a self-starter and learn best on your own, begin studying online, check out a study book from the library, or buy one.
- Check ARRL’s schedule of classes here to find one in your area if you learn best in a classroom setting.
- Set a deadline for finishing your study and taking the test.
- Become familiar with how amateur radio operates by listening in via a shortwave radio, also here.
- Find a club in your area. You’ll learn more than you ever wanted to know about amateur radio. Trust me!
Once you get your license, there’s no need to break the bank with your radio purchase. One long-time operator suggested buying online from Ham Radio Outlet. A ‘Made in China’ model, costing around $100 or so, is a great place to start.
If you have questions about this skill, post them here, and Master Po or another ham operator will answer them. Good luck, and when you pass the test, post your call sign here!
- Ham Universe
- Baofeng hand held radio
- Why You Should Learn to Love Ham Radio
- ARRL (National Association for Amateur Radio)
- SWLing Blog (Shortwave Radio)
- Test Practice Sites: Ham Study and Ham Exam
- The Best Amateur Radio and Shortwave Apps for ios and android
- ARRL liscensing manual
- Ham Radio Go Bag by Max Cooper
- SETTING UP AN AMATEUR RADIO STATION: Help For The New General Class Radio Operator by Bob Patterson
- Amateur Ham Radio Transceiver
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- The Best Strategy for Homeschooling When Life Gets Hard - June 12, 2020
- Survival Shopping at Costco: A Quick and Easy Guide - June 10, 2020
- 6 Important Survival Lessons I Learned as a Scout - June 4, 2020
- The Food Storage Companies I Recommend and Why - May 30, 2020
- Simple Food Storage Meals for Tight Times: Stock up on three months worth, fast! - May 6, 2020