The Rule of 3 is an old stand-by in survival circles.
“Three is two.
Two is one.
One is none.”
Chances are you have multiple ways of purifying water and have more than one evacuation route planned but have you applied the Rule of 3 to staying warm?
Cold kills, and it’s dangerous to rely on only one source of warmth, especially at a time when indicators point to the very real possibility of spikes in the cost of energy and fuel. We may see a time when millions of families have to choose between staying warm in the winter and having enough food to eat.
In the meantime, think about how you and your family could stay warm if your usual source of power was gone.
My Latest Videos
- Do you have enough blankets to add to beds and hang up on windows?
- Is there a way you could protect your outside walls from high winds and extreme cold?
- Can you add extra insulation in your exterior walls?
- In extreme circumstances, would you be able to shut off all unnecessary rooms and contain your living and sleeping quarters in just one area?
- Does everyone in the family have the right clothing for spending time outdoors in cold temperatures?
- Do you know the warning signs of hypothermia?
- Is your vehicle equipped with methods of staying warm in case of a breakdown?
What other options could you add to your home in order to stay warm? In the coming days, retailers are going out of their way to offer steep discounts on just about everything. If money is tight, maybe a really good snowsuit or heavy jacket would make a fine Christmas gift in place of a new electronic gadget. When it comes to staying warm in cold weather, safety takes a priority over luxuries.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 27 More Tips From a Master Gardener - April 2, 2019
- 10 Ways to Use Wild Violets for Food and Medicine - April 1, 2019
- 7 Things To Do Right Now To Get Ready For a Fabulous Summer Garden - March 25, 2019
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: Garden Centers - March 18, 2019
- The Future of Emergency Response: 5G Ultra Wideband - March 14, 2019