Years ago I was a champion coupon clipper. There was quite an adrenalin rush when the cashier said, “You’ve saved 70% today!” Wow! I would rush home with my bags of groceries and a receipt a mile long.
After a while, though, I began to notice that my cupboards were overflowing with processed foods. Yeah, we enjoyed the 10 bags of Chips Ahoy and all the sugary cereals, but I knew it wasn’t healthy. For the most part, I set couponing aside because I wanted my grocery dollars to go toward real, healthier foods. Once I started a food storage pantry, I realized those convenience foods generally had short shelf lives anyway.
Now that I’m stocking up on everything from ibuprofen to toilet paper to oatmeal, I’ve found that coupons can be most helpful with items that are non-foods. Recently, I came across some great coupons for shampoo, lip balm, and paper towels. Not only do we use these items and I know they won’t go to waste, but most of them can be stored without worrying about the effects of heat.
If you don’t get the newspaper and Sunday coupons, there are tons of great sites online with printable coupons. Here are just a few:
What are your favorite online coupon sites and how are you using coupons to be better prepared?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- A House Fire Changed My Family Forever - September 19, 2019
- Build your emergency kit with this Junk Drawer Challenge! - September 17, 2019
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson - August 1, 2019
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever - July 22, 2019
- My top 16 tips for beginning homeschoolers - July 17, 2019