When storm clouds gather, every SurvivalMom wants to gather her little chicks together in a safe place. Sometimes, though, our children may find themselves in situations where the best course of action is to hunker down. For example, a school lock-down, an earthquake, or severe weather may prevent them from coming home right away. Our first instinct may be to make a mad dash to wherever our children are, but even I have to admit that sometimes staying put is the safest way to go.
So, when we moms can’t be there with our little darlings, we can still provide our kids with a few basic pieces of equipment in their own Survival Kit. Putting one together is a good time to apply my Five S’s. Keep in mind, you’re not packing an all-inclusive Bug Out Bag, just enough provisions to help them feel secure and loved until you’re reunited. If a winter storm is expected, it might be smart to add additional snacks and hand warmers.
- a small package of tissues
- hand sanitizer
- hard candy
- high-calorie energy bar
- chewing gum
- bandana (brainstorm ideas with your child for different ways to use it)
- a water bottle or water pouch
- plastic poncho
- hand and feet warmers
- extra pair of wool socks
- light stick
- small pocketknife (unless having one will get him or her expelled from school)
- a list of emergency phone numbers
- a cell phone
- a sturdy whistle
- small pad of paper & pencil
- a small paperback or puzzle book
- an iPod or mp3 player
It will be important to do some role-playing and/or discussing what is in their kit and how and when to use each item. Of course your kid’s Kit will contain items that are age appropriate.
What else would you add to your kid’s Survival Kit?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Basic Facts About Freeze-Dried Food – Video lesson - August 1, 2019
- Green Coffee Beans: Simple Methods to Roast the Best Coffee Ever - July 22, 2019
- My top 16 tips for beginning homeschoolers - July 17, 2019
- 12 Tips for Living Out of Your Car - July 9, 2019
- 15 Things I learned from One Second After & My Survival Tips - July 4, 2019