It’s a good thing that my family has been prepped and informed about such things as evacuations, 72 Hour Kits, and when not to panic. Yesterday we experienced a rare evacuation from our home, and I have to say, I was pretty darn proud of my kids.
The Paranoid Dad has taken on the massive project of acid staining our concrete floors. Rather than hire a professional or go for the humdrum look of carpet, wood or tile, we chose the road less traveled, and the fumes nearly killed us!
With watery eyes and a slight stagger, Paranoid Dad emerged from the master bedroom where he had been using a sealant on the floors and choked, “We’ve got to get out of here!” I swear, in under six minutes, my kids had their overnight bags packed and were standing by the back door. I think the promise of a hotel swimming pool had a lot to do with it, but regardless, they were ready!
My Latest Videos
Getting out Fast!
I wrote about organizing your family for evacuations, and let me tell you, it’s worth the effort to put a few procedures on paper and teach the process to your family members.
- Each kid has their own packing list. They do their own packing for every vacation now, and all I do is double check to make sure a dozen stuffed animals aren’t hidden between underwear and pajamas.
- Each of us has our own pre-packed toiletry bag. We literally grab these, shove them in a suitcase, and we’re ready to go.
- The kids have been trained how to behave in an emergency: obey immediately and no arguing!
- I’ve taught the kids to give extra food and water to our pets before an evacuation, so this was one detail I didn’t have to think about. If you have pets, you may want to read my article Putting Together an Emergency Kit for your Pets.
- The 72 Hour Kit was in the Tahoe, so no one was running around trying to grab basic supplies. As it turned out, we didn’t need anything but a change of clothes and a few toiletries, but neither was precious time wasted in locating and packing essentials.
I hope your weekend was less eventful than mine! We returned home to some very happy pets and a darn beautiful floor!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 27 More Tips From a Master Gardener - April 2, 2019
- 10 Ways to Use Wild Violets for Food and Medicine - April 1, 2019
- 7 Things To Do Right Now To Get Ready For a Fabulous Summer Garden - March 25, 2019
- Last-Chance Apocalypse Shopping: Garden Centers - March 18, 2019
- The Future of Emergency Response: 5G Ultra Wideband - March 14, 2019