Winter is coming and with the cooling air comes a desire to drink something warm. In fact, I’m learning that whenever I’m in the need for a little mental comforting I reach for something warm. It seems many of us do that, we reach for a favorite drink to help give us comfort and a moment of rest to face whatever needs facing. As we get ourselves prepared with the practical matters of flashlights, medical supplies, blankets, etc., let’s also take some time to prepare for some comfort in the form of hot drinks as well. Comfort in a cup, after all, can be accomplished for everyone in the family and easily be a part of our food storage plans. Need some inspiration? Here are some comforting hot drinks to get you started:
Hot Drink Ingredients to Stock
Keep your favorites as part of your food storage rotation – coffee beans, tea bags, cocoa powder, dried herbs for tea. Even a bottle or two of whiskey, brandy, or liqueurs for an extra adult comfort now and then. A person can always buy hot cocoa mixes but those tend to be full of artificial things many of us try to avoid and it’s easy and cheap enough to make from powdered milk, sugar, and cocoa powder anyway. Beyond the things like coffee and tea that come immediately to mind think of bottles of apple cider for hot cider, even orange juice concentrate can be used in a warm fruity punch.
Mixes to Make Ahead of Time
1. Hot Cocoa: 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar – 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder – 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Milk. Combine everything together well and store in an airtight container. To make a cup: mix 3 Tablespoons of mix with 8 ounces of boiling water or coffee.
That cocoa mix makes a great gift too, if you wanted to help someone else find comfort in a cup. A splash of coffee or mint liqueur in hot cocoa is a nice relaxing adult treat.
2. Chai tea concentrate make and freeze for a quick fix when the need for comfort strikes.
Don’t Forget Your Health
Hot drinks are comforting to our minds but they’re also very often nourishing and healing to our bodies as well. Keep some things stocked to boost immune systems, soothe sore throats, calm upset stomachs, and generally care for your families bodies too:
- 10 Herbal Teas for Cold & Flu Season
- Whiskey with honey, lemon juice, hot tea, and cloves help with sore throats and sleeplessness
- Herbal Tea to Calm Anxiety
- Golden Milk for Inflammation and Immune Boosting
Other Recipe Ideas
- Hot Eggnog with dairy free, even probiotic versions
- Irish Hot Chocolate
- Non-Alcoholic Butterbeer
- Hot Lemonade
What’s your favorite hot drink recipe?