It’s a key ingredient in almost any casserole: cream of mushroom soup. Or cream of chicken, or cream of potato, or cream of celery.
I used to buy cans and cans of the stuff. Then, as I slowly started to substitute healthier items for what I had in my pantry, I discovered a healthy cream of “whatever” soup mix.
And, the best part – it’s made from easy pantry items that you can stock up on for emergency situation. Instead of cans of creamed soup, you just need dry milk, cornstarch, bullion, dried minced onion, and seasoning.
My Latest Videos
Cream of “Whatever” Soup Mix
Mix together and store in an airtight container:
- 2 C powdered dry milk
- ¾ C cornstarch
- ¼ C bullion (chicken or beef, personal preference)
- 2 TB dried minced onion
- 2 tsp seasoning, such as Italian or vegetable (personal preference)
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together 1/3 cup of the mix and 1¼ cup water until desired thickness is reached. This equals roughly 1 can of creamed soup.
If a recipe calls for adding milk and a can of creamed soup, I often just double the soup mix instead. Mushrooms, potatoes, or chicken can also be added to the dish, if desired, to come closer to the old recipe with canned cream soup.
Now you can have casseroles at any time – emergency or not!
Recipes for this mix can be found on several websites, but I found this one at One Good Thing by Jillee.
Latest posts by Sarah Anne Carter (see all)
- Learn from My Many Gardening Mistakes - March 13, 2019
- 10 Survival Lessons from The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes — and Why - March 12, 2019
- The Simple Way To Make Bug Out Bags on a Budget - December 26, 2018
- 7 Survival Lessons from Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why - November 21, 2018
- How to Use a Bullet Journal For Your Prepping - October 22, 2018