Out of all the products that I had a chance to try out and review last year, the LuminAID is at the top of my list.
The actual light source is a small, flat lantern, similar in size and shape to a cell phone. With the push of a red button, it lights up thanks to its solar panel.
However, the cool-ness of this product isn’t just the light itself.
My Latest Videos
As you can see from the photo, the solar light is attached to an inflatable pillow, expanding the source of light. Just one of these would nicely fill a tent with soft, diffused light. When the pillow is deflated, the entire thing folds up and can easily be packed in a side pocket of a backpack.
The LuminAID is waterproof, can float in water, and provides up to 16 hours of light. It weighs just 3 ounces and has both a high and low setting for the light beam.
Here’s a bit of the story behind the LuminAID:
Following the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the LuminAID was designed by two students who wanted to make a difference. Through the Give Light, Get Light program, Luminaid products are distributed all over the world through partnership with NGOs and non-profits to individuals who benefit from a safe, rechargeable light source. The product has since been featured on CNN, the Today Show, Fox News, and was appointed the winner of the 2013 Midwest Clean Energy Challenge.
If you have young kids and are concerned about their fears during a power outage or camping out in the deep, dark woods, the LuminAID is perfect as both a comforting light source and a unique toy!
It would also be so easy to:
- Pack this in the glove compartment of your vehicle for a handy LED light source.
- Give as a gift to anyone who likes cool, new products.
- Include one in each emergency kit.
- Keep the LuminAID in a purse or backpack pocket.
This video shows a bit more how the LuminAID operates. I give this product a big thumbs up.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 3 Key Medical Concepts to Teach Every Child - January 14, 2019
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Give this a try and have an extra $1378 by the end of the year! - January 7, 2019
- Build Your Best-Ever Emergency Kit - January 5, 2019
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions - January 3, 2019
- Get week-by-week prepping help with my 2019 calendar! - November 26, 2018