There’s a reason why survival minded people buy wheat and not flour. Wheat has a shelf life of decades, while flour is only good for a year or so. Even if you’ve never ground wheat to make your own flour, it’s a smart idea to stock up on several pounds. You can read about alternative ways to use wheat here.
For this Action Step, track down sources of wheat and try to find the best price possible in your area. Here are some tips.
- Check Craigslist for wheat sources.
- Compare prices, types of wheat, sizes of containers, and shipping among the various sponsors here on my blog. Local is nice because you won’t have to pay shipping charges, but online may be your only source.
- If possible, combine your online order with others in order to share the shipping charges. A cheap shipping charge, by the way, doesn’t necessarily make the purchase a better deal. Make sure you’re comparing apples with apples, er….wheat with wheat!
- Contact a local LDS ward and ask about wheat sources in your area.
- “Natural” grocery stores, such as Sunflower Market, Sprout’s, and Henry’s, carry wheat. It may be called “wheat berries”, but it’s the same stuff.
- Bob’s Red Mill is another online source, but I’ve found them to be very expensive.
- Chat with local growers at farmers markets and see if they can recommend a good, local source of wheat.
- If you’ve never even seen real wheat, start by purchasing a pound or two. Borrow a grain mill from someone or just cook them up to make an awesome hot breakfast cereal.
- Check out einkorn, an ancient wheat variety.
- Use this wheat worksheet to plan your wheat purchases.
- Make sure you store your wheat as best you can to protect it from the enemies of food storage.
- Livestock feed stores sell wheat. I haven’t purchased any from this source, but many preppers have.
I really like this video about wheat by the Survivalist Doc. It’s over ten minutes long, so grab something to sip on and click ‘play’!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 25 Things I Learned From Long Term Camping - June 13, 2019
- Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals? - June 7, 2019
- How to Make a Faraday Cage - June 1, 2019
- A Four-Seasons Emergency Plan: Summer Survival - May 24, 2019
- 32 Survival Skills Your Child Should Know and Be Able to Do ASAP! - May 21, 2019