- Preppers, and their counterparts the survivalists, obsess about survival. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of us are too busy living actual lives to obsess over anything. We have kids to raise, meals to cook, businesses to run, and laundry to wash, dry, and put away. Who has time to obsess??
- Survivalism is all about moving to Idaho and stocking up on guns. Yes, many preppers and survivalists have moved to rural areas, but many of us are still slogging away here in the suburbs and cities. There’s no point in moving out to the wild if you won’t be able to earn a living!
- We’re all a bunch of paranoid idiots. What’s paranoid about having health insurance? Car insurance? Life insurance? The truth is that we all feel more secure when we have insurance and a bit paranoid when we don’t! Paranoia actually decreases when you are living debt-free and within your means, have extra food and supplies set aside, and have given some thought and planning to what you and your family will do in a worst case scenario. In a natural disaster or some other major crisis, the real idiots will be those running to the grocery store to find bare shelves and ATMs that are empty of cash.
- Preppers have been watching too many end-of-the-world movies and TV shows. Well, our family doesn’t get cable TV, so our TV watching is pretty much limited to whatever DVDs we have on hand. Star Trek:Voyager is a new favorite. I think those doomsday movies and TV shows can be entertaining, but most preppers watch them and think, “These people are making the worst possible decisions!” We know a thing or two about basic survival, so we tend to watch them with a critical eye, if we even watch them at all.
- It’s selfish to hoard food and ammunition. Is it ‘hoarding’ to own a dozen pairs of jeans or twenty pairs of shoes? The difference between what preppers are doing and any other consumer, is that we choose to stock up on goods and supplies that are practical, will be used, and will have real value in a crisis.
Are there any more “facts” you’d like to throw out there and de-bunk?
The following two tabs change content below.
I'm the original Survival Mom, and have been helping moms worry less and enjoy their homes and families more for 9 years.