The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 2, Read All About It!
Our kids always look forward to unpacking our collection of holiday books. During the month of December, we keep them in a basket in the family room, ready for a read-aloud or a quiet read-alone. This is the season to enjoy some really terrific books as a family. Trust me. Your kids will love a nightly reading time as they cuddle up in blankets, nibble on popcorn or cookies and listen to Mom or Dad read.
If you don’t have many, or any, holiday books, you can visit the library, borrow from friends, download on Kindle, or purchase. Any day now, your library’s shelves will be emptied of every book related to Hanukkah and Christmas, so don’t wait! Grab your library card and make a book run! Not surprisingly, Amazon has a huge selection with prices generally lower than bookstores.
One more way to enjoy these books for free is to use your library’s electronic audiobooks. Depending on the book, you can either download it onto your computer, turn up the volume, and listen, or burn your own CDs. You can read all the details here.
The nice thing about these books is that they never get old. We read them only during the month of December, and pack them away until next year. Here are a few books my kids have been enjoying for years.
- The Christmas Crocodile by Bonnie Becker
- The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg (the movie creeps them out, but we watch it anyway)
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg
- Who is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate
- Louisa May Alcott’s Christmas Treasury
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
- Bah! Humbug? by Lorna Balian
- The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.© Copyright 2011 The Survival Mom, All rights Reserved. Written For: The Survival Mom
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Is a cruise ship any place for a Survival Mom? Answers to your cruise ship safety concerns - August 13, 2014
- Top 10 Food Storage Tips from Food Storage Pros - August 7, 2014
- Everybody’s talking about Ebola — Here’s what you should know - August 2, 2014