Growing up in an earthquake zone, my kids grasp the basic need to be prepared, but my 2nd grader recently became extremely interested in preparedness, even earning the Boy Scouts’ Emergency Preparedness Award. He has made his own First Aid kit, which he wants to carry to school, and is excited to read Andrew Skurka’s book The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide from National Geographic. (I bought it for myself – silly mommy!)
What sparked this heightened desire to learn? The reality TV series Dude, You’re Screwed! on the Discovery Channel. Survival experts are dropped at an undisclosed, remote location and have to find their way to civilization.
The boy ate it up!
So, are your kids prepared? Are they preppers? How old are they? Do they live with you or on their own? Who or what convinced them? What steps have they taken?
P.S. The Survival Mom herself recently interviewed Andrew Skurka for The Survival Mom Radio Network. You can listen to that podcast here.
Latest posts by Liz Long (see all)
- Coping With Life-Threatening Allergies in a SHTF World - April 20, 2017
- 20 Quality Prepper Gifts Under $20 - November 30, 2016
- Leftover Turkey Recipes That Don’t Suck - November 24, 2016
- Beyond Zombies: Survival Lessons From The Walking Dead - October 13, 2016
- The Well-Prepped College Student - September 20, 2016