Growing up in an earthquake zone, my kids grasp the basic need to be prepared, but my 2nd grader recently became extremely interested in preparedness, even earning the Boy Scouts’ Emergency Preparedness Award. He has made his own First Aid kit, which he wants to carry to school, and is excited to read Andrew Skurka’s book The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide from National Geographic. (I bought it for myself – silly mommy!)
What sparked this heightened desire to learn? The reality TV series Dude, You’re Screwed! on the Discovery Channel. Survival experts are dropped at an undisclosed, remote location and have to find their way to civilization.
The boy ate it up!
So, are your kids prepared? Are they preppers? How old are they? Do they live with you or on their own? Who or what convinced them? What steps have they taken?
P.S. The Survival Mom herself recently interviewed Andrew Skurka for The Survival Mom Radio Network. You can listen to that podcast here.
Latest posts by Liz Long (see all)
- What Most of Us Don’t Think About When Staying in Hotel Room - October 12, 2017
- A Four Seasons Emergency Plan: Autumn Survival - September 17, 2017
- Make a School-Friendly First Aid Kit - September 13, 2017
- The Nitty Gritty of Treating Lice - September 7, 2017
- The How and Why To Storing Charcoal - July 21, 2017