This topic was suggested by Kiri who blogs at Springing Into Action.
If you could start a simple, home-based business today that would provide a product or service that might be in demand when the stuff hits the fan, what would it be? Kiri asked this question a few weeks ago, and I thought it might be helpful for all of us to brainstorm answers together. Here are a few ideas I had.
- Learn or improve upon your sewing skills and be able to sew and tailor clothing. When times are tough, people have to make do with whatever they have and might appreciate the skills of a seamstress.
- Learn how to cut hair. This might sound kind of crazy, but let’s face it. No one wants to end up looking like a poster girl for the Greatest Depression. Do you really want 5th graders in a Social Studies class fifty years from now exclaiming at the sight of your picture in their textbook, “People were really ugly back then!”? Sooner or later, everybody is gonna need a haircut!
- If you have lots of land, consider developing a large plot dedicated to compost. City dwellers might pay a pretty penny for some of that rich soil.
- Do you have a green thumb? Raising seedlings for sale just might be the ticket to earning extra cash or for bartering. If you’ve stocked up on heirloom seeds, or really any seeds, and know how to save seeds, you’re already a step ahead of everyone else.
- Warm, knitted socks and lap blankets for the winter would be great for both sale and barter. Energy prices may skyrocket and moms will be desperate for ways to keep their homes and families warm.
I think Kiri is on the right track here. Regardless of where the economy goes, either short-term or long-term, having one or more ways to earn extra money is a tremendous asset.
What products or services can you think of that a SurvivalMom could use to start a home-based business that would also be in demand in the future?
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Where There Is No School: How to continue your child’s education post-disaster–GIVEAWAY! - September 20, 2017
- The #1 Item Every Bug Out Bag Should Contain — But Probably Doesn’t - September 15, 2017
- 7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - September 11, 2017
- 11 Last Minute, Last Ditch Evacuation Locations - September 9, 2017
- 20 Slightly Unusual Items for Stocking Up - September 8, 2017