Last weekend I had the urge to try a new project and wanted it to be one that was inexpensive and simple. Having seen Leon’s Brick Rocket Stove over at SurvivalCommonsense a while back, I decided that my back yard needed one. One trip to the hardware store and about $20 later, here is what happened:
Using Leon’s instructions, the 16-brick stove was easily constructed. I chose to add a Dutch Oven lid stand so that I could cook breakfast for my little boy. The stove surprised me by producing a large amount of heat using tiny pieces of fuel!
My Latest Videos
Mom’s small, seasoned cast iron skillet was a perfect fit for the amount of food I had in mind, and it quickly heated up.
With only a few handfulls of twigs and small branches, we had enough heat for bacon AND eggs!
We had so much fun with this little stove that we are now making a list of other simple things to try: coffee, hot chocolate, chili, etc… My son loves this, and we strongly recommend it for a family weekend project that is easy on the wallet and will last for a long time!
Latest posts by John A. Heatherly (see all)
- 9 Must-Haves for your Glove Box - January 30, 2018
- Water Purifier Comparison: The Sawyer Point ZeroTWO and The Berkeys - July 26, 2014
- Training Kids To Be Resilient - July 24, 2014
- Build a DIY Smoker & Make Your Own Jerky - June 21, 2014
- INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Dollar Store Beans and Rice - June 3, 2014