So, I’m sitting here enjoying a beautiful sunny day with a parade of fluffy clouds passing by, and life is good. My iced tea is cold, the AC is cranked down to COLD, and my kids are out of the house.
Within 24 hours, though, we’re expecting Hurricane Harvey to hit our area, and hit it HARD. Harvey was just a tropical storm a day ago and now forecasters are telling me he may reach a Category 4. Yes, we have food, bottled water, and are up to our ears in preps, but until that big guy hits, we won’t know just how ready we are.
I was feeling pretty calm with what we’ve done so far — here’s the To Do list I created for my kids (there may be some items on here you haven’t thought about for your own “Harvey” someday!):
- Charge all electronics and battery packs. We’ve always used the Jackery to charge our phones when they are dead and we don’t have access to an outlet.
- Buy 2 extra bags of ice — in case we have to pack freezer food in the cooler.
- Buy 4+ cases of water. Hurricanes will bring floods and floods very often overwhelm municipal water systems. In that case, we’ll get a boil order, and we can boil water on our gas range or using our Silverfire rocket stove, but bottled water just makes it easier to have drinking water on hand.
- Freeze 1 case of the bottled water. Those will help keep food in the freezer colder, longer, and we can use them to pack our 3 coolers, if necessary. BTW, for Father’s Day I broke down and bought my husband a small YETI cooler. It was a splurge but now I’m glad. We don’t have any medications that require refrigeration, but if we did, a YETI of any size would help keep them cold for several days.
- Get out all our emergency supplies, so we can separate out what we might need.
- Round up all light sources and place at least 2 in each room. We have a couple of LUCI lights, and I adore them. They are these little inflatable things that collapse when not in use, but each one runs on a tiny solar battery and has multiple functions.
- Clear everything off the back patio and put it in the garage.
- Tie down the 2 kayaks. These are pretty big, too big for the garage, so they’ll be tied down to our patio.
My list is longer than that, and I’ll share more later, but isn’t it just like life to make you question whether or not you’re really ready for one crisis or another, whether it’s a hurricane, a winter storm, earthquake, job loss, or something else? You don’t know what you’re made of until you’re punched in the gut, right?
Take a prepping class with me!
Here’s how you can know, for sure that you’ll be ready when your own “Harvey” hits.
I’d love for you to join me and dozens of other preppers in this fall’s session of Prepping Intensive. I’ve designed this 8-week course and curriculum, along with Daisy Luther, to help you dig deeply into prepping, locate weaknesses, and get all your prepping ducks in a row, once and for all.
This class includes 24 LIVE classes with some of our industry’s best-known experts. You’ll meet them online, live, listen to their training, and get your personal prepping questions answered. Of course these sessions are all recorded, so you can watch them again and again, and get caught up when you miss one.
Along with these live classes, we have over 100 training articles for you, exclusive podcasts, To Do lists, and Weekly Challenges. There is simply no way you can work through this class and not be the best prepped prepper on your block! Just like me, you’ll be able to assess an incoming threat of one kind or another, be it a hurricane, civil unrest, or a job loss, and know you’re pretty darn prepared, without a doubt!
Here are the bases this curriculum covers:
- Water and emergency sanitation
- Food storage, including tips for special diets
- Natural disaster preparedness
- Power failure/grid failure readiness
- Emergency evacuations
- Setting up your home as a survival retreat
- Getting healthy and fit for survival
- Economic collapse possibilities and preparedness
- …and more.
We’ve made sure this class covers these areas in depth and since the live classes are recorded and you get lifetime access, you can go back through the course again and again, or just pop in to a particular module when you need the info. Plenty of other details are here, https://preppersuniversity.com/welcome-to-the-prepping-intensive/, but you can always comment here with your questions for me to answer.
The coupon code is…
Now, the regular price for this course is $199. That comes to just $8.29 per live class. Factor in numerous free downloads, including 2 full-length books, a private Facebook group where you can get to know others in the class and network with them, AND easy access to help from myself and Daisy. The price is right for all that, but today, and only for the next 48 hours, you can sign up and use a coupon code for $30 off. After the sale, the price will return to $199 and we won’t be offering any more sales. This will be the BEST and ONLY sale this session.
Class begins on Sunday, September 3, with an Orientation webinar. We’ll teach you how to get around your new course material and answer your questions, and then, on Monday, you’ll be off and running with our first Module, Water & Sanitation. This sale runs Friday and Saturday only! I’ll send out one more reminder on Sunday, so you don’t miss out. Click here to read more and sign up. Let’s get prepped as a team!
Do you need a bigger prepping challenge?
Are you already prepped fairly well? Then you MUST check out our Advanced Intensive. This one challenged me and my husband on so many levels as we learned strategies for getting out of the rat race, the finer art of bartering, what life is like (realistically) in a civil war, and tons more. If you take nothing else, this advanced course will challenge you like nothing else.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Battle of the Mini Survival Kits: Which one is best? - November 22, 2017
- Just in time for the holidays: Homemade 100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls - November 20, 2017
- Make Your Own Winter Survival Food Kit - November 15, 2017
- The Grand Luci Light Giveaway! - November 13, 2017
- Don’t Just “Fall Back” This Month! Get Prepped for the Winter! - November 11, 2017