This giveaway is now closed. The winners were Jen (Ball Utensil Set), hedgehog mom (Patrice Lewis books), and Cheryl Hart (Putting Food By). I’m leaving this post up because of all the great comments and confessions about canning! Watch for another giveaway coming soon!
If you ‘re new to canning, I hope you’ll take up my challenge and learn how to can tomatoes this month! I was SO nervous about canning that one time I let an entire 20 pound box of apples rot because I was too afraid! We ended up throwing away the whole box, unopened.
So, if I can learn how to can, anyone can!
The Canning Giveaway
I want to encourage you to continue canning and trying new things and will be giving away prizes to three lucky winners!
- Prize #1: A Ball Utensil Set
- Prize #2: A set of Patrice Lewis’s three canning e-books
- Prize #3: Putting Food By. This book has been recommended to me so many times that I’m ordering my copy today!
Here’s how to enter this giveaway. Leave a comment telling why you believe preserving your own food is an important part of being prepared. That’s it. Include your email address so I’ll have a way to get in touch with you.
Giveaway ends at midnight on Sunday, July 22. Winners will be selected at random and will be notified by email. I will post the names of the winners on my Facebook page. Good luck!
A challenge to advanced canners!
If you’re an advanced canner, I’d like to challenge you to stretch your skills this month. Choose one of these canning projects and let us know how it works out for you!
- Homemade ketchup!
- Marinara sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- V-7 Juice!
- Anything you haven’t tried before!
Resources for you
Regardless of where you are in your canning journey, here are some resources that have been very helpful to me.
- Canning Granny – blog and very active Facebook page
- Simply Canning – Sharon is super competent and has helpful ebooks.
- “Canning 101” by the awesome Jackie Clay of Backwoods Home Magazine
- The official Ball Canning site
- PickYourOwn.org website includes a list of local u-pick farms and orchards for each state and canning information and recipes.
- Patrice Lewis, my favorite Idaho homesteader, has 3 inexpensive ebooks all about canning.
- Join in the discussion on The Survival Mom forum!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- How to survive a boil notice - February 19, 2018
- 2 Safety tips for your kids: The sound of gunfire & concealment vs. cover - February 15, 2018
- 4 Simple but Clever Ways to Keep Cooking Oil Fresh Longer - January 23, 2018
- 17 things you probably didn’t know about honey, but definitely should! - January 16, 2018
- 13 Food Storage Resolutions - January 3, 2018