More Americans are either unemployed or under-employed than ever before in our history. If you or someone you love falls into this category, I have a really crazy tip for you.
As long as you’re staying at home doing nothing much, why not get in touch with professionals that you know and see if you can work for them as an unpaid apprentice, particularly if they are in the trades.
Years ago when there was a work slow-down here in the Phoenix area, my husband began to get calls from men who had been laid off. Some had worked in technical fields and in all sorts of white-collar professions. More than one said to me, “I wish I had learned a trade way back when.”
My husband is an electrical contractor, and although he’s planning a career move, I’m so glad he has a skill that will always be needed. An old teacher colleague from my previous career once said, “Every woman should have a second or third way to earn an income,” and I’d say that applies to men as well.
There are so many trade skills out there, such as:
- laying carpet
- installing cupboards, countertops, and more
- appliance repair and service
You might have to start out by just keeping the job site neat and doing menial work, but you’ll have the chance to watch experts do their job and it’s inevitable that you’ll pick up information and skills along the way.
Like I said, this may sound crazy, but I also understand Newton’s First Law of Motion: “Every body continues in its state of rest…unless it is compelled to change that state by forces impressed upon it.” In other words, the longer you sit and do nothing, the longer you will sit and do nothing! That’s not good for anyone: man, woman or child.
So, consider tracking down a professional in one trade or another and asking if they would take you on as a temporary, unpaid apprentice. You’ll pick up some new skills that might translate into a whole new career.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Do’s & Don’ts for comforting someone who has just lost everything - September 23, 2017
- Where There Is No School: How to continue your child’s education post-disaster–GIVEAWAY! - September 20, 2017
- The #1 Item Every Bug Out Bag Should Contain — But Probably Doesn’t - September 15, 2017
- 7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - September 11, 2017
- 11 Last Minute, Last Ditch Evacuation Locations - September 9, 2017