One food storage note here: Once I’ve filled my PETE containers (along with 300 cc oxygen absorbers), I put them in cardboard boxes, labeled with the contents, e.g. cornmeal, flour, white beans, etc. The closed cardboard boxes will protect the food from the effects of light.
(Did you catch those fancy lookin’ containers? Not the soda bottles! The other ones!)
I’ve tried to track down an online source to purchase these without any luck. (If you have a link to an online company that sells these, let me know!) The best I can do is suggest that you buy these where I buy them, Sun West Container Company in Phoenix and Tucson. My contact in Phoenix is Julie, and I know she’d be happy to help you with an order and current pricing.
You might be able to get these free. A friend of mine owns a restaurant and when she saw my PETE containers, she said, “We get ingredients in those containers all the time!” So, it may be possible to procure these for free or at a nominal cost from a restaurant. It never hurts to ask.
If you don’t have the money in your budget for these containers, you’ll notice that I get plenty of use out of clean soda bottles! Rinse them out, swirl a tiny bit of water/bleach solution in the empty bottle, rinse one more time, and allow to dry. I run the caps of the bottles through the dishwasher. Use 200-300 cc oxygen absorber per filled soda bottle.
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Quick! Grab my newest book, 99 cents! - September 26, 2016
- 20+ Foods that must be re-packaged for long-term storage and how to repackage them - September 26, 2016
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Give this a try and have an extra $1378 by the end of the year! - September 24, 2016
- 21 Things to Look For Every Time You Go To a Yard Sale or Thrift Store - September 22, 2016
- 65 Pieces of Survival Wisdom From the Great Depression - September 16, 2016