If your kids get bored easily and you’d love to get them involved in a fun activity that will teach them practical, lifelong skills, consider the air rifle. Also called air guns, this inexpensive hobby teaches both adults and kids (boys and girls!) valuable target shooting skills.
The NRA has an excellent summary of the sport here. Not only will this sport be fun for the whole family, but target shooting is an Olympic sport with many organizations offering college scholarships to sharpshooters!
By the way, mom, if you’ve never fired a gun in your life, an air rifle is a good place to start. If you have a daughter, it’s even more important for her to see that shooting isn’t just a guy thing. Every woman should know the basics of firearm safety and shooting. Still need a little convincing? Check out my favorite blog for women who love to shoot, Cornered Cat.
To learn more about air rifle clubs and activities in your area, contact your local shooting range. Your state’s Game & Fish Department may also have details.
This post has been updated from the original version posted June 24, 2009.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Cornstarch : It’s not just for gravy anymore - October 18, 2017
- Prepper to Prepper: Basic Food Storage Advice - October 9, 2017
- Don’t Freeze to Death in Your Own Home? Learn How to Live in Just One Room - October 6, 2017
- Pure Water, No Matter What: A Review of Berkey Water Filters - September 26, 2017
- Many Streams Make a Mighty Fine Income - September 25, 2017