In my previous post, Food Storage by the Numbers, I mentioned just how many meals a family of four would need in order to have a years supply of food. Browsing around the internet, I came across this site which details just how much food is needed to feed one person for a year. The total estimated cost of that food is $1684. That comes to only $32 per week for an adult eating about 3,000 calories per day. Many Americans spend at least $32 a week at Starbucks alone! I was pleased that the author included 12 boxes of brownie mix!
On a side note, he calculates that food costs have risen 5% in the first nine months of the year and 21% since January, 2008! That’s a significant increase. By stocking up on food and other necessary goods now, you’ll have an effective hedge against continued inflation or, worst case scenario, hyper-inflation.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Battle of the Mini Survival Kits: Which one is best? - November 22, 2017
- Just in time for the holidays: Homemade 100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls - November 20, 2017
- Make Your Own Winter Survival Food Kit - November 15, 2017
- The Grand Luci Light Giveaway! - November 13, 2017
- Don’t Just “Fall Back” This Month! Get Prepped for the Winter! - November 11, 2017