In my previous post, Food Storage by the Numbers, I mentioned just how many meals a family of four would need in order to have a years supply of food. Browsing around the internet, I came across this site which details just how much food is needed to feed one person for a year. The total estimated cost of that food is $1684. That comes to only $32 per week for an adult eating about 3,000 calories per day. Many Americans spend at least $32 a week at Starbucks alone! I was pleased that the author included 12 boxes of brownie mix!
On a side note, he calculates that food costs have risen 5% in the first nine months of the year and 21% since January, 2008! That’s a significant increase. By stocking up on food and other necessary goods now, you’ll have an effective hedge against continued inflation or, worst case scenario, hyper-inflation.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Where There Is No School: How to continue your child’s education post-disaster–GIVEAWAY! - September 20, 2017
- The #1 Item Every Bug Out Bag Should Contain — But Probably Doesn’t - September 15, 2017
- 7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - September 11, 2017
- 11 Last Minute, Last Ditch Evacuation Locations - September 9, 2017
- 20 Slightly Unusual Items for Stocking Up - September 8, 2017