Conserving water is not just a “green”thing to do, it’s a good idea no matter where you live. Using gray water, or water that drains from the washing machine or kitchen sink, is one option for recycling water.
When I was researching the use of gray water for my book, I spoke with Buzz Boettcher of Gray Water Recycling Systems. Buzz has installed huge commercial systems for businesses such as beauty salons that want to recycle their own water. He discourages the re-use of water from the kitchen sink and dishwasher because of possible contaminants from food. Water from washing machines also has the drawback of containing lint and soap. Buzz said that if laundry water is recycled, it should only come from loads of laundry not containing underwear or diapers. No need to develop a toxic waste dump in your backyard!
Here is how one prepper is re-using laundry water.
His system doesn’t appear to have a filter, but installing one would insure that your lawn or garden doesn’t eventually resemble the lint catcher in your dryer.
Recycling “used” water is definitely a possibility and one that should be explored, especially for those of us living in arid parts of the country. In fact, before spring planting time arrives would be an ideal time to research the use of gray water and put a simple plan in place.
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- 52 Weeks Savings Plan: Give this a try and have an extra $1378 by the end of the year! - September 24, 2016
- 21 Things to Look For Every Time You Go To a Yard Sale or Thrift Store - September 22, 2016
- 65 Pieces of Survival Wisdom From the Great Depression - September 16, 2016
- 32 Survival Skills Your Child Should Know and Be Able to Do ASAP! - September 14, 2016
- “American Blackout” Tips & Tricks for Survival - September 12, 2016